Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

Have you ever heard of this?

Today the planets are aligned. One of my co-workers told me since this is so, you can stand a broom upright all by itself. No one believed her. She found a broom and put it in front of us and it stood all by itself w/out falling over. I did it when I got home as well, and I had 2 brooms standing freely in my kitchen, for over 20 minutes, one of them was also leaning at an angle because of the way it is made and it still stood all by itself. Now, I guess what I want to know is this, how many of us actually think of standing a broom in the middle of the floor on a daily basis whether or not the planets are aligned? My guess is not a lot, so how do we know or not whether this can actually be done when the planets are not aligned? I guess my actual questions are these; have any of you actually heard of this before, have you done it, and why would this work because of the planets being aligned if this is really the reason why this is occurring? Thanks

• cosmo
    Favorite Answer

1) The planets are not particularly aligned at present.

2) Even if they were, it would have no effect on what you can or cannot do with brooms.

This sort of rumor circulates every few years. Decades ago, it used to be standing an egg on end during the equinox. The planets do not exert any appreciable influence on anything smaller than the whole Earth, and even then it's a small effect.

It's a confirmation bias. It's hard, but not impossible, to stand a broom on end, regardless of what the planets are doing. But if you think it should work, you'll likely make it work, and if you think it shouldn't work, you'll likely fail. Same with standing an egg on end.

Try telling half your friends that the position of the Moon makes it possible to stand an egg on end, and tell the other half that the position of the Moon makes it impossible. (Obviously, don't let them communicate with each other.) I bet you'll find that the ones you told it will work can do it, and the others can't.

• eri

No, the planets are not aligned. Even if they were, that broom trick wouldn't have been a result of them - a passing bus has a greater gravitational pull on your than Jupiter. Brooms can be balanced at any time - this sounds like the old 'you can only balance an egg on the equinox' trick. People think it works because that's the only time they ever bother to try to balance an egg - but it would would every day.

I've never heard of this.

The planets are not aligned today.

Don't believe your coworker.

If you can balance a broom today, you can balance a broom any day of the week, and at any alignment of the planets.

The alignment of the planets has no effect on the balance-ability of brooms.

The planets are not aligned today.And try that trick a few more times afterward.You will see that standing a broom on its end requires skill,not any alignment.

Hard to say but try it tomorrow and see what happens...good luck...well I tried it last night and no luck and before that I would have never even dreamed of trying it. I guess the world is full of strange things we will never be able to explain. Best of luck for future experiments and finding the truth to all of life's mysteries.

Proof that the planets are NOT aligned today:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Solar/action?sys=-...

where do you dig up this garbage?

please calculate the gravitational force of the various planets on your broom. compare it with your gravitational force on the same broom.

Source(s): words fail me...

See now here it is. This is what is wrong with the world today. Far too many people know things that just aren't so.

yeah i heard of that alredy we talk about that during school!

Source(s): go to yahoo.com and ask questions