My electric meter reader leaves my gate open each month. My dog is now missing. Don't they know to?

...close gates they had to open? I have an indoor dog that I have to let out in my yard several times a day but he isn't visible when the meter reader comes to my house. Just because you see no dog doesn't mean the homeowner doesn't have one. Why can't they close the gate? Does everyone who owns... show more ...close gates they had to open? I have an indoor dog that I have to let out in my yard several times a day but he isn't visible when the meter reader comes to my house. Just because you see no dog doesn't mean the homeowner doesn't have one. Why can't they close the gate? Does everyone who owns a dog have to call the electric company to inform them of their "dog status" and provides special instructions to "close gate behind you"?

At this point, I may NEVER see my dog again. He's gone. Maybe the SPCA needs to get involved? And animal control?
Update: I know it is the meter reader because he reads the meter on the 17th of each month. My gate has been left open in the past on the 17th the month... not any other days... and no other visitors through the gate I managed to get the gate closed the other months but forgot to check it this morning... but I don't... show more I know it is the meter reader because he reads the meter on the 17th of each month. My gate has been left open in the past on the 17th the month... not any other days... and no other visitors through the gate I managed to get the gate closed the other months but forgot to check it this morning... but I don't think I should be required to babysit the meter reader either. He should be more responsible and close ALL gates behind himself. It doesn't take an education, just common sense.
Update 2: Perhaps if ALL meter readers, and other home service providers, could be responsible enough to "close" a gate they initially found closed, fewer pets would find themselves euthanized by Animal Control... It only takes one open gate, ONE TIME.
Update 3: Note: My dog DOES live inside and IS house trained... Now, if we could only train the meter readers... THATS the REAL issue here.