J asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Xanax and Zoloft refill?

Hello. I went to the doctor recently because I have been getting extreme anxiety and panic attacks. He prescribed me 50mg Zoloft and .25mg Xanax. But the prescription says no refills. Will the doctor usually just check up on you on the follow up appt and see how the medicine is working and prescribe more as needed? I find the Xanax helps tremendously for my Panic attacks, but I only got prescribed 20. Haven't noticed a difference from the Zoloft yet.

Favorite Answer

Usually the MD will want to check with you to see how things are going before refilling these medications.

I encourage You to see a psychiatrist. Family MD's are great. They are not specialists in anxiety and panic. Xanax is a benzodiazepine drug. It can become habit forming. A psychiatrist will have some alternative medications and solutions that will minimize the chance of you becoming dependent on a medication for anxiety and panic.

Also Xanax is a Schedule III drug which means the doctor has to write a new prescription each time you need a refill. Doc's are not allowed to give refills on any Scheduled drugs.

yes. He will automatically give you a refill if you respond well to the meds. But they dont want to give you too much because for example, they don't know if you are the type of person who abuses pescription meds, they need to check in with you to see if you are ok and not giving you too much meds is the best way to ensure that you will come in so that they can monitor your progress. Also, they need you to come in for another appointment so they can make $. It's a confluence of all of these reasons.