can someone explain to me what this quote means?

Can someone tell me what this quotes mean? (10 points)?

it is from Dwight D. Eisenhower.

"The act of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

Thanks

Favorite Answer

Well, the problem is that you're missing one very important word from that quote!

It should be:

"Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it."

And it just means that a skillful, gracious leader will have people do things because they've been convinced by that leader that they want to do it, as opposed to a leader who gets others to do his bidding by scaring them into doing it.

About which subject Eisenhower had another excellent quote:

"I would rather try to persuade a man to go along, because once I have persuaded him, he will stick. If I scare him, he will stay just as long as he is scared, and then he is gone."

Same basic thought, but two ways of putting it, really!

• RAY G

It's "the art", not "the act".

This is Eisenhower's definition of leadership: using good psychology. When you want something done, you either pick someone who wants to do it anyway, or else you use your skill to motivate people so that they feel it was their idea to do it.

IMHO, it means that if someone wants to do something you don't really want to do but still need to accomplish, you should let the other person do it if they can, since that act, in and of itself, is a good deed. You get what you want and the other person gets what he or she wants.

• P.J.

I would think it is about getting someone to do something they didn't originally want to do. You inspire them, and they end up wanting to do it. It is about inspiration and leadership.