Migraines after birth?

Brody is 5 months old and since he was born i have had 2 full blown migraines. I had one last night and one when he was about 2 months old. I know theyre migraines because it will start with my right eye being very blurry and my vision being scewed only in my right eye. then about an hour or so later my head will start pounding and i get sick to my stomach, last night when i had it i threw up i got so sick.

i never had migraines before these 2 times, is it normal to get migraines after you have a baby?

yes, i did have an epidural and they had to do it twice. the first time the dumb--- didnt look at my chart to see my height, and he put the epidural in too low because of it. i guess he assumed i was the average height, but the taller you are the higher they have to put it in [the nurse told me]. im 5'9", so after an hour of getting even stronger contractions just on my left side he finally came in and fixed it. he never came and checked on me after birth or anything. i thought that they were supposed to come and talk to you afterwards to make sure everything is normal

i dont think it is a spinal headache though because it doesnt matter if im laying down or standing, it hurts the same. and i didnt have any symptoms or headaches until 2 months after he was born.

• Diet C
    Favorite Answer

Did you have an epidural?

ETA: Epidurals can cause low pressure headaches (which feel very similar to a migraine) at any point after childbirth. They can last indefinitely, there's no window like a spinal headache.

I'm certainly not going to say that that's for sure your cause, but that's the first thing that I thought of, especially since you've added that they screwed up the first try. Although low pressure headaches can happen after a perfect epidural. It's just one of the risks of spinal anesthesia.

• allie

your bodies chemistry has changed. yes it is possible. after i got pregnant with my second my headaches which i got daily sense i was 13 finally went away. then after i had my fourth i get headaches alot now again. being tiered stressed and having kids around dont help any either. if they get to be more common see a doctor.

If you had an epidural or spinal block, it is common to suffer from migraines after giving birth.

http://www.storknet.com/cubbies/childbirth/exwc2.h...

Migraines are often related to your hormone cycle. Ask your doctor for a prescription to keep with you to take if you feel another one coming on. If you are breastfeeding, it could be a little tricky. but definitely ask.

I think it is if only for the stress that new motherhood can have on us. Just try to relax as much as possible. Bubble baths help me but find something that takes your stress away.