Why/how come you went to join and serve the military?

Favorite Answer

Now days it by choice. There are times when people got drafted. So people tended to join a safer branch. Like Coast Guards, only to find themselve serving in a combat zone anyway. :o)

• holly

To satisfy my uniform fetish.

And I come from a military family, so it's the natural choice in my family to serve after high school graduation.

Why not? College didn't seem that fun after high school, so I had fun in the Navy for a few years...ok, 6 years. Now I go to college with the Gi Bill and I think I take my studies more seriously than I would've if I were still that goofy 18 year old.

I came to serve because (seemingly) unlike most of my generation, I feel grateful for those who have served before me. I feel that I owe something to my country, and I wanted to give back, as well as help provide freedoms that I enjoy to the future generations. I also wanted to do something productive with my life, secure a better future for myself, and gain some life experience. I believe there is no greater calling than to serve your nation, and I am proud of my decision. Proud to be a U.S. Soldier, fighting so others don't have to.

Source(s): Active Duty U.S. Army.

The only reason I am alive today is because of the military. I figure that I have a debt to pay for the armed forces and for the free country that I live in, and if you need a better reason than that then I'm sorry.

• John

It's hard to explain. I feel very protective over others, I will risk my life for this country and to protect the people in it. Though there are idiots in the U.S., I do it for the people worth protecting. I want to fight by the side of other good men who share common goals and values. I'm sure lots of them don't feel like being over in Afghanistan or Iraq, and I want to help them. It has a lot to do about the man next to you, if you know what I mean.

because, personally i want to serve my country, and I want to a career with guaranteed benefits and guaranteed advancement if your good at your job. excellent benefits like retirement benefits and health care. the question should be why wouldnt you want to join the military

I'm a patriot, and have a high sense of duty. I loved serving my country, and would do so again, should I be called to do so.

Source(s): Army Veteran

The people of the U.S. make this country what it is and I love my country and will give my life for its freedom and continuance.

Source(s): U.S. Army