Would my father still have to pay child support if I changed my last name?

OK, so here is an issue I cannot find the answer to on the web so far.

I'm 20 yrs old but by court order my biological father has to pay child support because I am a full time student in college (he's never been consistent with payments anyway, but this goes towards my education now that I'm in college).

My question is, I want to change my last name to my step dad's...but would that "free" my biological father from paying child support?

This is in the state of Massachusetts.

And if you cannot be nice please do not respond. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I know that some people have strong ones about child support. No one here knows my whole story, so please out of respect if you have the answer to the question just leave it at that. Thank you :)


by court order he would have to pay child support till I am 23 because I am a full time student in college. And he owes a tremendous amount of money as well.

5 Answers

  • chacoa
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, changing your name does nothing. Though I'm not sure why he owes anything if you're over 18, I guess if the court said he does then it's true.

  • 1 decade ago

    It doesn't matter if you change your last name or not. You are still his child and he has to pay for you. I think you should change your name to your step dad's he for one has raised you and been more of a father to you it sounds like. Good job to him!!!

  • I'm sorry I don't know the answer but if I was you I would get a hold of a lawyer and ask. Good Luck.

  • Shadow
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    Only if he gave up his parental rights and you were adopted by someone else. Although at your age neither really are likely. But no, changing your name would have no effect.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    no, he would still have to pay.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.