If I get married am I responsible for my 'girlfriends debt?

I am planning to get married soon, but my girlfriend has about $30,000 on her credit cards. Once I marry her am I responsible for that debt if we ever end the marriage?

Favorite Answer

No, you will only be responsible for the debts you create together. Like loans with both your name on it.

Source(s): Been married, and divorced 3 times.
  • April

Depends on the laws where you live. Have no knowledge of Washington state--- and don't know what would happen if you decide to move to Oregon and the laws would be different. In many places, all property and debts become communal after marriage. Similarly, let's say your grandmother dies after you've been married and you inherit a house that's been in the family for generations, then get divorced. Without a pre-nup, this house would be considered communal property and divided in the divorce. Easiest thing to do is to make some kind of pre-nup. It will protect both of you, and really has nothing to do with not trusting the other person. In my opinion, a pre-nup is a way of limiting financial damage, so that if one partner goes through a tough time, the other, will be able to help and keep life going. Pre-nups are especially important if either one of you wants to set-up a company. And you can change pre-nups or get rid of them if your life circumstances change, so what you agree on now, is not set in stone.

• Andrea

You will inherit her debt when you marry her. If you were to divorce before her debt is paid you would be responsible for half. Another side effect is that it will make it difficult for her to contribute to things you both need for your household until her debt is gone. Just make sure your girlfriend knows that she needs to pay down her debt on her own and learn better spending habits. You can also help her start planning how to get out of debt now so you can be debt free by the time you get married.

Technically, that $30,000 will be your girlfriend's debt alone. But seriously, once you're married to her, it will be very unlikely that you won't be helping her out with her debt because her debt problems now can compromise your finances as a couple in the future.

It would be wise to convince your girlfriend to fix whatever debt problems she has now before the two of you get married.

Source(s): Your girlfriend may want to read this: http://familyfinancialhelpusa.com/category/debt/

WOW!!! $30k is alot of debt to carry into a marriage. My best suggestion would be to CUT those cards and all cards in half!!!!! Then I would get her some help. If you are truly in love with this girl and you want to spend the rest of your life with this girl, for the next little while if you can you should live off of just your paycheck and carry her for the next little bit. Make her put her entire paycheck onto her smallest debt first and get rid of as much of it as possible. The best thing you could ever do is buy her the Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover CD on tape or book, whichever is best for her. Both of you should read that book! He is amazing! The best money managing book ever!!!

• CoeyG

When you get married she will be our spouse and you bet your sweet Patootie that her debt will be your debt and that just like marital asserts marital debts are split in half as well. If she has bad credit your credit will be very much affected, If she is ever sued for her debts YOU will be sued along with her and anything of value you have will be used to pay off those debts. That includes cars, boats, homes, property, home electronics. Hopefully you have nothing of value because it won't be your's for long.

• K8

Usually when a person brings debt into the marriage it affects the household budget and finances and you will end up paying it off as a couple.

Do you know why there is this much debt? If she has terrible money management, she will bring it into the marriage. You could end up with huge debt as a couple.

hope you know now never ever give her a credit card. before you marry her you she should pay off her debt.

yep

• Chels

Unless you get a prenup you could be.

Source(s): Get a prenup.