What do you think about the Zenith STOL CH 701?

I really like the idea of this plane. I hate to say it, I think I am more into the idea of building it, than flying it. I have too many young kids to think about flying seriously, but I am thinking about building this plane in the next few years for fun. Instead of buying one of the kit packages, I am thinking... show more I really like the idea of this plane. I hate to say it, I think I am more into the idea of building it, than flying it. I have too many young kids to think about flying seriously, but I am thinking about building this plane in the next few years for fun.

Instead of buying one of the kit packages, I am thinking about building or buying all my own tools to cut it all out, and slap her together bit-by-bit. I doubt I will finish because a huge project, but out of all the kit planes, this one is the most interesting.

One thing did catch my attention. Supposedly there are several hundred thousands built since the late 80's, but only a handful have crashed. That seems to suggest that they might be really well-designed planes, because I noticed all the other models of Zeniths have their fair amount of crashes on NTSB.
Update: The CH601 is a totally different design, and not even close to a 701. The 601 is a low-wing, the 701 is a high-wing, that looks similar to a Cessna.