jdeekdee asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why does Obama disagree with Jimmy Carter on race issue?

WASHINGTON (Reuters) – President Barack Obama's spokesman publicly disagreed with former President Jimmy Carter on Wednesday over Carter's contention that some conservative opposition to Obama is based on race.

"The president does not think it is based on the color of his skin," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters.

More here ==

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090916/pl_nm/us_usa_c...

What do you think of this??

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Well what is he doing to flat out say some people dislike him for his race? Could you imagine the reaction to that?

The fact is that some people do hate him and everything he does because of his race. There are racist people. There are people who hate black people. That is life, you can pretend otherwise that color does not matter and to most people it doesn't but there are people who think that way and that is what Carter was speaking about, not the average conservative opposition to Obama.

• 1 decade ago

President Obama is wrong on a lot of things, but he still has class. I disagree with him on healthcare, the stimulus package, and a lot of other things, but he won't lower himself to that level just like I won't call him a Nazi. I still respect the man even though I disagree with him, and his disagreement with Jimmy Carter just reinforces that.

Source(s): My mind and reality
  • 1 decade ago

I think I found one thing that I do agree with Obama on. Just because people disagree with the President does not mean that they are racists. It means that people who are trying to defend his positions no longer can so they blame it on racism.

• 1 decade ago

why does Obama have to agree with Jimmy Carter.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with Carter. Obama had to say what he did.

If you don't believe that a significant group of people believe that no black should be president, just read a few of the posts on this website.

• 1 decade ago

He does not want the right to call him a race baiter, smart man indeed.

• 1 decade ago

He doesn't agree because he is racist.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.