ilmdag asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Involuntary commitment?

If a suicidal patient already ordered to inpatient care refuses to eat, what actions are taken?

Yeah i figured that would be true for the shorter period, but i was wondering about after being sentenced to a longer period of commitment, I figure they wouldnt let one starve themselves to death seeing as they're trying to prevent that. I wasnt sure if maybe they would treat it the same way as anorexia? But thankyou!

Favorite Answer

Hi. I refused every meal that was given to me for the 3 days i was held for a suicide attempt, and nothing was done to me. I also refused all the meds they tried to give me. I was told i had the right to do so.

Sure you have the right to refuse food, treatment therapy,etc. Many times what that will get you is more time being confined. You will not be released from involuntary until you can prove that you are not a danger to yourself, others and have the ability to care for yourself. This is not like a jail sentence where you have to let out after a certain amount of time. The judge that signs the commitment papers deems that the facility must keep you for a MINIMUM of 72 hours, not that you get out in 72 hours. If they feel that not eating is affecting your overall health, the facility can get a court order form a judge requiring that you be force fed, force medicated, force hydrated, etc. Not cooperating is a way to be kept longer in a place that I don't know of many people liking to in to start with. Hospitals are miserable places to be in, in the best of times, they are freaking miserable when you cannot leave because you want to.

Source(s): Been involuntarily commited twice. Both times were for longer than 72 hours. Damn bipolar.