My 3 year old cries when I tried to put her to bed and still sleeps in a crib?

I have a 3 year old that screams and cries if I try to put her to bed and on top of that she still sleeps in her crib even though she has a big girl bed in her room. If I try to put her in the big girl bed she gets out every 5 minutes and will keep the whole house awake until 12am and then at 1am she'll be in my room wide awake... what do I do to get her to sleep one and then to stay in her big girl bed.??? Help

Desperately Frustrated.

• allie
    Favorite Answer

first take the crib out to show her that is the only bed she will sleep in. second as she gets up put her back to bed with no talking. sit in her room or in the door way until she falls asleep. when she gets up in the middle of the night walk her back to her bed and let her know it is bed time. it will take about a week but she will get the point. my 3 yr old sleeps in my living room. because her room scares her. she will get up in the middle of the night and come into the living room and watch tv until she falls asleep. so i understand how you feel. i am not temping to fix this as of yet because i have a new born that likes to eat every 3 hours and it takes her about an hour to finish so i dont have the proper time to focus on the sleeping arangements. my husband works nights so really i dont mind for now.

What do you do to get her to sleep in her bed and stay there? Be the parent, that's what. Get rid of the crib...you should have done that as soon as you got the toddler bed. Put her to bed and tell her to stay there. Be firm, be consistant, and be in control. You are letting a three year old run everything.

First of all: your 3 y/o shouldn't still be in a crib. Secondly: when you put them to bed, don't go back in there! If you keep going back in they realize the crying get's you to come back. You have to be strong. Stay out night after night. I know it hurts but it's the only way. Good luck.

Source(s): personal experience

my three yr old used to do this a lot, it takes some time but here are some things i do..... no naps at all!! this way he is extra tired and ready to go to sleep, i also still sit by his bed with my head on his pillow to help him go to sleep, sometimes i am in there for about 40 mins, but its worth the time sitting in there to get him to sleep rather than him screaming non stop.... when you sit by her bed, just sit there, tell her good night and i love you, and dont talk anymore, if she tries to talk to you tell her if she continues to talk you are going to leave the room, but tell her this one time only, if she talks again get up and leave for about 5 minutes, then go back and sit down next to the bed to get her calmed down, it took about a week of doing this, but finally my lil one will get in bed by himself and he knows if he starts talking a lot i will not sit with him....good luck, hope any of this helps

try to convince her cribs are for babys and she is a big girl now and big girls sleep in big girl beds...

when she falls asleep whereever in the house carry her to her bed so at least she gets used to sleeping in it. be patient with her. finally she will be brave enough to sleep in her big girl bed.

• Stacy

I agree with the other posters....the crib needs to go. If you aren't done with children, mayge you can lend it to a friend or have a friend. If you are done, there is probably a local women;s shelter that might take it.

i would stay in her room with her untill she does it or just whoop her butt. i am going to have the samne problem my baby is 18 months and he still sleeps in a crib and when i try ti put him in a bed he thinks its play time.good luck and let me know how u do it.

• Anna3

google SUPERNANNY with Joe Frost.

She'll tell you exactly what to do and trust me it works!

Your daugther is going to keep doing it bc she feels she can and you dont do anything about it, so please watch the video and change your ways so she can change hers.

Source(s): I've done it many times and now dont have a problem.