5 accomplishments that Senator Ted Kennedy had..?
What were (at least) 5 accomplishments that Senator Ted Kennedy had in the senate?
- Victory !Lv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
The Civil Rights Act of 1964
After his brother, President John Kennedy, was assassinated, Ted Kennedy was a strong force in getting the Civil Rights Act of 1964 passed and signed. This was more important to him as a senator and a man of conscience; however it was also important to get it passed as a memorial to his brother.
Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty of 1991
Otherwise known as START, this treaty between the United States and the USSR drastically reduced the number of nuclear weapons. It is estimated that from 50% to 80% of the nuclear weapons possessed by these two countries have been removed and dismantled.
Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPPA) of 1996
HIPPA protects the health insurance of American workers who lose or change jobs. This law also protects the security of health records and the privacy of patients.
Medicare Prescription Drug Improvement and Modernization Act of 2003
This act brought prescription drug coverage to Medicare subscribers. This was the biggest change to Medicare since it was first enacted.
- JimboLv 71 decade ago
A DWI and never convicted. Failed a driving test with a one night stand. Forgot to open the door for his date to get out of the car. Invented the Waitress Sandwich at La Brassier. Set the standard for how many drinks should be consumed during HAPPY HOUR. His accomplishments were many and varied but ultimately his most astonishing accomplishment was being able to sleep while his one night stand slowly suffocated to death in the back seat of his car while it was under water. What a great legacy that was, and he never acknowledged it during his lifetime.
- slappyjkLv 71 decade ago
His biggest accomplishment was ever increasing the minimum wage for high school students (which caused inflation and America to lose its competitive edge with other countries).
He was very successful passing a lot of legislation, much of it was misguided and socialist inspired.
By example, he made the demand for term limits an important issue again.
Its hard to say nice things about a man who has led a life of selfishness and hypocrisy. The alcoholism, hard drug usage, the secret financing of the IRA to kill people, being a terrible Dad- his kids are all rehab graduates and bums; a terrible husband- drove his wife to alcoholism from a lifetime of womanizing; helped his nephew get off when he raped a girl, getting caught twice in college for cheating, never earning a honest dollar, living off of the blood money from Irish gangster, Joe Kennedy's life of crime; guilty of felony manslaughter, never spending a night in jail for his crime and then bullied the Kopechne family to accept a meager settlement to remain quiet about their daughter being left to drown to protect Teddy's political career.
Teddy passed a lot of legislation, if you judge him solely by that and ignore his horrific personal life, lack of character and being an advocate of socialism, you will be like every liberal who says Teddy was a great man.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
1. Drowned a girl and didn't get impeached.
2. Pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident that resulted in the death of his passenger, but didn't spend one minute behind bars for drowning a girl.
3. Invented the "Kennedy curse" myth, as if he was the victim of himself drowning a girl.
4. Made a blubbery confession on TV and confessed that he was not fit to hold public office, but then instead of resigning, he passed the buck to voters and dared them not to vote for him because he drowned a girl.
5. Got re elected over and over again and spent just over 40 years in office after drowning a girl.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous1 decade ago
1. got out of the car while drunk
2. remembered to call his lawyer instead of cops
3. called dad
4. got off scott free
5. only murderer to be buried with real American heroes in Arlington Cemetery.
6. Dying and NOT paying any inheritance taxes.
7. Making his wife put up with his cheating because he was rich.
8. Fought Bush to stop NCLB. Whoops... scratch that, he sponsored it to help Bush.
- JoshLv 61 decade ago
1. being a drunk
2. sitting on his *** doing nothing in the senate
3. working with the KGB
4. killing a young girl
5.dyingSource(s): all i can think of.
- The SageLv 51 decade ago
Made me ashamed of the democratic party X5.
- 1 decade ago
leaving the scene of a deadly 'accident'
liberalism to the point of insanity
- 1 decade ago
If you question Obama, in any fashion.
You are a racist.
You will be investigated.
- Superior JeansLv 51 decade ago
consumed tequila, rum, scotch, vodka, and peppermint schnapps