orange longed haired female cat?

i have had my cat for 2 1/2 years and went to go get her spayed and when i took her in the Vet told me to keep ahold of her because she is a long haired orange female cat and they are rare cats...is this true , i love cat but i dont know anything about there genes or anything

Favorite Answer

It is true that orange cats are more likely to be male than female, but I wouldn't call them "rare" since around 20-25% of orange cats are female. The reason why is that the gene for orange lies on the X chromosome. Female cats have two of these, while males only have one, so in order for a male cat to be orange he only needs to have the one orange allele from his mom, while a female must inherit the orange allele from both parents. If she gets one orange and one non-orange (black), she'll end up being a tortoiseshell or a calico.

As for the long hair, that is a recessive trait which makes it less common than the dominant short hair trait, but it's still not rare or unusual.

**Added** I'm pretty sure the vet was just telling the asker not to get rid of the cat, not that the asker shouldn't get her spayed. But it is weird that a vet should consider a cat's novelty value to be the reason someone should "keep a hold of her," as if the owner's commitment wasn't a good enough reason :-P

Long Haired Orange Cat

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

orange longed haired female cat?

Source(s): orange longed haired female cat: https://biturl.im/V3eQW

Rare is all in a matter of definition. Orange cats are typically about 4:1 males to females. So less common is a better term. As far as being long haired, I don't know what that would have to do with it.

But the downside to having her not spayed is the more times she goes into heat, the greater the chances of her developing several different cancers, and those are a death sentence.

• BBG

It is uncommon to see an orange female cat but it does happen from time to time.

Is is EXTREMELY rare to see a male calico or torti (tortoise shell).

short hair and long hair are tied together with everyone else. their is no much better than other

So did you get her spayed? I would find it find it very disturbing if a vet actually discouraged you from spaying a cat simply because of this. Yes - solid red cats are more commonly male but since your cat isn't likely a particular breed of cat this doesn't make her "valuable". Please get her spayed ASAP.

Normally the long haired orange cats are all males. If you wanna get rid of her let me know =) She is special

my vet told me that 80% of all orange cats are male. that makes her very special!!!

This depends on how it looks upon you. For me, as long since it's not past your shoulders after that it would be ok but We prefer anything that doesn't go past the ears.