Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 1 decade ago

magnets? im confused?

ok how do you know if a magnet is strong or not when ur gonna buy one off line like an actual magnet not like a refrigerator magnet i need a strong one that will attract to another one of the same type and i want them to be pretty strong but not strong enough to like not be able to get back apart

Update:

Dimensions: 1" od x 5/16" id x 1/4" thick

Tolerances: ±0.002" x ±0.002" x ±0.002"

Material: NdFeB, Grade N42

Plating/Coating: Ni-Cu-Ni (Nickel)

Magnetization Direction: Axial (Poles on Flat Ends)

Weight: 0.768 oz. (21.8 g)

Pull Force, Case 1: 25.47 lbs

Pull Force, Case 2: 54.11 lbs

Max Operating Temp: 176ºF (80ºC)

Brmax: 13,200 Gauss

BHmax: 42 MGOe

yeah none of that makes since to me does any of it tell me how strong it is if i had another one right beside it?

Update 2:

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's hard to say exactly how strong a magnet will be, just by looking at it on some website.

If you're looking for strong magnets, you should look for neodymium magnets (sometimes they're just called rare earth magnets). In general, the larger the magnet, the stronger it will be.

As an example, a neodymium magnet the size of say, a sugar cube, is strong enough that it can pull another similar magnet from a few centimeters away.

EDIT: Does your source say what 'case 1' and 'case 2' are supposed to be? That would give you an idea (based on the pulling force they list) of how strong the magnets are.

The one you've listed is a neodymium magnet though, so it will be very strong for it's size (much stronger than a regular fridge magnet).

• 1 decade ago

Boys are cheese heads

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.