Immatation crab is okay to eat when pregnant right? since it's not real seafood? Also i've been craving tuna..?

I'm about 8 weeks along and i'm majorly craving immatation crab salad and tuna, I ate a lot of tuna with my last pregnancy and my son came out just fine. But don't think I ate it this early on??

Favorite Answer

Both are completely fine, just don't overdo it. Enjoy!

What's safe to eat?

Some types of seafood contain little mercury. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) say pregnant women can safely eat up to 12 ounces a week (340 grams) or two average meals of:

■Shrimp

■Canned light tuna (limit albacore tuna and tuna steak to no more than 6 ounces a week)

■Salmon

■Pollock

■Catfish

But some research suggests that limiting seafood during pregnancy may do more harm than good, since the risks from losing important nutrients may exceed the risks of harm due to mercury exposure. A 2007 British study found that women who ate 12 ounces (340 grams) or less of seafood a week were more likely to have children with verbal or other communication problems at age 3, and behavioral problems and trouble with fine motor skills by ages 7 and 8. No negative effects were noted for women who ate more seafood than the FDA-approved guidelines.

Not sure about the crab, but you can safely eat 4 tins of tuna, or 2 tuna steaks, a week without causing any harm.

The crab should be fine but my doc told me to stay away from the tuna.

• Imitation crab is fine also crab is ok wouldn't eat it more then once a week, and my midwife said that light tuna is ok to eat once a week

Seafood is actually okay to eat as long as you don't overdue it, and eat fish that have A LOT of mercury. Like swordfish.

Source(s): I don't eat meat, only fish. And my doctor told me it was perfectly fine, since this is the main way I get my protein.

seafood is fine during pregnancy. and immitation crab IS seafood, its pollock that is ground into sirimi and then formed into the shape. congrats!