Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw Enforcement & Police · 1 decade ago

Is pepper spray illegal in NY?

I had an altercation on the street with a man who claimed to be columbian when he said "I'm columbian puta I'll mess you up I don't care" in his thick accent. He was angry with me because he was following me on his bicycle for about a block on the sidewalk before he tried to grab my *** so I threw my coffee on him to stop him... it worked and he went away. (it was cold coffee btw). But turns out he waited until I got up to a block that had almost no people on it because there were theater vans blocking the street and then came up to me & started screaming at the top of his lungs and getting in my face and threating me. My phone died so I asked these ladies that were crossing the street to call the cops for me but they just stood there and watched complaining that I should just walk away- as if I didn't already try that.. Ugh. But two men came to my rescue (thanks fellas). One guy walked me to a cab while the other stayed with the crazy guy to keep him from following me anymore. As soon as I came home I thought I'll buy me some pepper spray online for protection...well they won't sell it to me because of laws in NY? So I can't buy pepper spray because I'm a NY'er? What can I buy to protect myself other than a gun? As a side note I'm a little concerned that because the police were never called that this guy is going to assault more women. Should I report what happened to me to the police and give a description or would the police think I'm just wasting their time because I was not harmed?

Favorite Answer

Libs don't want you to protect yourself from criminals, it just wouldn't be right for you to hinder them in conducting their business. My suggestion is to moved to a more civilized state.

Sorry to hear what happened to you and I had a similiar situation in NY where I got mugged. I tried to buy a pepper spray online and yes, they are absolutely illegal! Thanks to governor Pataki (who made the laws) NY's can't buy taser guns and spray guns. However, there is an alternative!!! We can buy a type of defense spray called "force spray". It is basically the same thing as pepper spray, however, more expensive. Here is a website that tells you in which locations you can purchase it that are closer to you. You can also read more about it here: http://selfdefenses.com/forcespray/newyork.html

Wish you luck, hope nothing like this ever happens again!

• Batsu

Here you go...

N.Y. Penal Law § 265.00. Definitions

15-a. "Electronic dart gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to momentarily stun, knock out or

paralyze a person by passing an electrical shock to such person by means of a dart or projectile.

15-c. "Electronic stun gun" means any device designed primarily as a weapon, the purpose of which is to stun, cause mental disorientation,

knock out or paralyze a person by passing a high voltage electrical shock to such person.

N.Y. Penal Law § 265.01. Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree

A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree when:

(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal knuckle

knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or slungshot, shirken or

"Kung Fu star";

Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree is a class A misdemeanor.

So, I'd say tasers are out, but I don't see pepper spray as being prohibited.

Source(s): New York State Statutes

If a pepper shaker isn't, why would a spray be ?

no its not illegal