Debra asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 1 decade ago

is ciproflox and clendamycin the same antibiotic?

I asked for Clendamycin but the doctor wrote me a prescription for ciproflox. What's up with that?

Wrong Joe! He told me yes when I asked if Clendamycin would be okay for him to prescribe. By the way, this was when I went across the border to Tijuana for medical treatment. Capiche?

Favorite Answer

No, they aren't in the same class. It's hard to think of an illness for which they'd even both be good options.

Reconsider asking for antibiotics when you don't even know how to spell their names, what they do, how they do it, their range of use, or when you have one antibiotic with two different names. If the doctor decided to give you cipro, it's most likely because it has a better shot of actually wiping out your infection. You don't even know the difference between a DNA gyrase inhibitor and a translational inhibitor, yet you feel your opinion is a valuable as the doctor's. In the future, ask him why he prescribes you the medicine he does.

• iuh8ui

It's clindamycin and ciprofloxacin and no, they are different antibiotics.