When does a "mass of cells" or other euphemism for a pre-born child, become a baby?

Protoplasm one second and a baby the next second?

Favorite Answer

It's apparently all about "choice" so I guess when mommy decides it's a baby and not a "clump of cells"...

Lollipop...how many 6 month old children do you know that can live on their own with out any assistance from an adult? NONE...since there are none how can you say that a 6 month old child is "viable"? Oops excuse me 7 month old children? I know quite a few 18 year old children that can't live without mommy or daddy....maybe they're still not "viable"...why don't we abort them as well? Well have you found that magical 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12 month old "viable" child that can survive completely on its own without any assistance from any adult whatsoever?

Since they're not "viable" until they're much older why can't we abort em up to the age of 18?

• Emily

I think its a child from conception. Many disagree. But its a good question you ask. Some others say 5 months. Some say 3. Some say out of the womb. Others say 2 or 3 years old! Its madness! If its not a baby, your not pregnant! And I ask you this, when a pregnant lady is murdered and the child is killed too, its a double homicide. When you have an abortion, its a glob of tissue. Does it make any sense???

I would argue that it is human the moment the sperm enters the egg. At that point, all the genetic information is there, and the rest is development.

It is a bit complicated because at this stage after a few divisions, if the cells are separated from each other they can form 2 or more human twins, but I would still argue that conception is the point at which you have a human life form.

Oddly enough, the "conception" argument is based upon Occam's Razor, one of the foundational principles of evolution, which the church's fought, and some are still fighting, tooth and nail. DNA isn't in the Bible. Occam's Razor isn't in the Bible. Noone seems to address the nonexistent theological argument for the "conception" position. Let's go with the churches' traditional answer: born alive.

Beats me. I think some adult humans are little more than a "mass of cells."

Whenever the fetus can be viable outside of the womb on it's own. So around 7 months I'd say.

edit: I was talking about 7 months into the pregnancy, not a 7 month old infant. That's why I said FETUS, geniuses.

• L.T.M.

That's a good question. The moment it begins to grow seems logical to me.

Source(s): Just an old country boy.

Conception is the only objective definition.

• ATJ

conception!