J asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 decade ago

advice about an 8 year old wanting a perm?

my 8 year old wants a perm but i think its still too early for her and that the solution would burn her head am i right ? any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated

I'm a professional and don't think there is anything wrong with it.

Make sure you don't have the same crazy experience as all these old school, poodle perm people. Make sure the stylist perms her hair on a roller that isn't too small. They make rods the diameter of.. a toothpick and as big as a cucumber....

Sure, she's 8. I definitely agree in not letting your kids grow up too soon, but as far as logistics go, the solution will not burn her scalp, but the rods are very uncomfortable, rinsing the solution out isn't very fun bc you have a headful of rollers in and the solution typically smells funny- doesn't burn anymore. I've been working with Paul Mitchell's perms for a while now and they are VERY mild- but the smell like a pretty skunk- bad but not terrible. haha.

Good luck!

Source(s): licensed professional- that means I know what I'm talking about :)

I would say 8 is a little too young, I got a perm when i was 14 and it turned out great. But i doubt the solution would burn her, but 8 is still just a kid.

hahahah def no perming at the age of 8

your right about the burning her head

she's way to young

I wouldn't do it. My mom did that to me when I was about that age. The hair is just still to babyish. It fried my hair I looked like I put my finger in a light socket for about a year. Not a good idea. :0)

i wouldnt ever let my kid get a perm at any age under 18. my mom took me to get one years ago in 7th grade. i got made fun of, it ruined my hair, i hated it and it took forever to grow out!!! i cried lol. then she told me that my grandma done the same thing to her and she cried too.

• 3sa

salons will tell you that a child below the age of 12 it will ruin their hair.

• i think u should wait awhile