How do you explain the concept of death to a four year old?

A few weeks ago, our only dog, Baxter, died. Me and my husband aren’t sure about how to explain his death to our children. We haven’t even removed the body from our home yet. So, as you can see, we are a bit flustered here.

My son was really attached to that dog and I think that he knows that we were lying about Baxter taking a doggie vacation, but we just don’t know how to break the news to him. We don’t want to lie to him about heaven and “God” needing Baxter in heaven or whatever. We just want to find a way to be able to explain the concept of death to a four year old.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

Same Q, different name.

Why Grrrrrrr? OMG, Baxter came back as a zombie dog and bit you! We told you not to keep the corpse in the house!

• 1 decade ago

Well, Tell your son that he went to the big playground in the sky. That God needed him. Tell him Baxter's heart and lungs didn't work properly and that when he goes to heaven he'll be all better and that Baxter will see him soon (; That he'll be always in his heart. Tell him its part of life. He'll understand.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Awe:(. Just tell him that Baxter was really sick and somethings when animals get really sick they go to heaven with God so he wont be sick no more.

• 1 decade ago

bet your house smells wicked bad

planning on waking the dog next month?

Source(s): god you people are stupid ..she has a dead animal in her house for weeks ..and you buy into the story. Get fixed
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • troll!!!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.