soupman asked in SportsCycling · 1 decade ago

Bike Gear Changing Questions?

What is the proper way of changing gears on a bike? Why is there two gear changing things on the steering handle.(one on the left other on right) ? My right one goes up to 7 and my left one doesn't show any numbers. What is each one for? Sometimes when I put the left one the metal would come in too close and the chain would rub along it. Anyone tell me how to change gears properly?

• Bunter
    Favorite Answer

If you still have the receipt, take the bike back for a refund.

You are too stupid to ride a bike. I don't want jerks like you on the same streets as others.

How in hell did you manage to learn to use a PC?

You have 21 gears but you don't want to use some of them.

Left 1= smallest 2 = middle 3 = largest

Normal riding use 2 on the left and 1 - 7 on the right.

Hills use 1 on the left and 1-4 on the right

Down hill use 3 on the left and 5-7 on the right.

If you use the smallest gear in the front and back at the same time the chain has to run at an angle and it's hard on the chain and sprockets. The same thing goes with using the largest gears at the same time.

http://bicycletutor.com/gear-shifting/

I'm assuming that you understand the reason for progressive drive ratios when I begin my answer.

The right shifter changes the rear gears. The increments between the gears are smaller and you will use the right shifter most often. As with a car...you start in the easiest gear and change as you accelerate. If it's too hard to pedal you shift down.

The left shifter actuates the front derailleur or gear changer. The increments between ratios here are much wider. Each progressive gear gives you a higher ratio between the front and rear and gives you from 2 to 3 ranges through which to shift the rear. What all this effectively does is allow you to go from the lowest gear ratio to the highest without too great of a chain angle which causes undue stress on the drive-train

You will stay in the 2nd gear on the front most often and use the 1st on hills and the 3rd on flats and downhills. To keep it simple until you get the hang of it only use the 2nd gear in the front and do all of your shifting on the rightshifter/rear gears.

• Jim G

Each of the previous answers has some merit. Go back to your bike store and as for assistance as this whole concept appears new and very strange to you. They can explain how, when and why you should shift.