Crystal asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

Cat leg amputation/problems?

I have a ten year old cat.

Around Memorial Day, he started limping and wasn't able to use his right leg.

We took him to the vet, and found out that he has Feline Leukemia and AIDS. The doctor also put his leg in a splint type thing.

All of the muscle eventually deteriorated in that leg, though. Now he cannot use it at all.

It will never recover, and it's always in his way. Now it is infected.

Is it possible to amputate this leg? Or what can I do about the infection, anything at all?

Favorite Answer

Of course it's possible to amputate his leg. It actually sounds like the right thing to do** **I'm not a vet, just my opinion

Why isn't your vet helping you make decisions like this for your cat? The leg is basically dead, and now infected. Your vet should have been on top of that situation a long time ago. If it were me, I'd find a new vet. Yours apparently doesn't give a damn.

• Qatie

It is certainly possible for the vet to amputate his leg. Cats and dogs do very well with only three. This may be the best thing for him.

Probably the infection can be treated with a lot of intensive nursing at home - but if it is pretty lifeless then it will probaly just keep getting infected.

It is certainly possible for a cat to have both FeLV and FIV (commonly called feline AIDS) at the same time. However, you should always get a second test done to confirm those diseases.

If you are concerned about your vet's attitude, or you do not understand what is going on, you may wish to seek a second vet's opinion.

Source(s): American Academy of Feline Practitioners FeLV and FIV testing guidelines. http://www.vin.com/mainpub/feline/aafpfelvdx.htm http://www.catvets.com/professionals/guidelines/pu...

The FIV isn't an issue, our FIV cats are asymptomatic and healthy, most live for a good 15 years. IT's the Feline Leukemia that may be an issue with this.

Talk to your vet. Amputation may be the best thing for him, given the infection. But your vet needs to discuss this with you since they know the cat's condition and if the operation will go well, given his health.

• jreb64

I had a cat that unfortunately got outside and was hit by a car. We had to amputate a leg and he lived a long life and was able to get around fine on three legs.

Feline leuk and aids? Go see a reputable vet. At ten years old it may well be better for the cat to have it euthanized.

Good luck.

Cats do fine with 3legs but your cat has other health problems. If your vet feels he can with stand such a surgery then I say go for it. The surgery is actually not that difficult. The hardest part for him will be his body recovering with his immune system, infection etc....

Talk to your vet - It does not sound as if he can stay the way it is so you may not have much of a choice if he is at the point of suffering with it.

Good luck. I will say a prayer for him. xoxo

Source(s): Vet Tech 25yrs

my cat had a car accident a few years ago and had to have a front leg amputated two weeks later she was running around like she'd always had three legs and no problems with infection

i would opt for amputation...

kill him.

don't worry, when he respawns he will still have 8 lives until he gets a game over.