Why do they reccomend you don't give cough meds?

to children under the age of 6??

Favorite Answer

i think silly is correct. i had this talk with my kids pediatrician. plus, i believe something about the medicine doesnt even work? maybe? plus the dosing or something about the dosing. its all messed up. if you need a medicine call and talk the pediatrician and ask what they give their kids if they have a cough. thats the way i handled it and was given a recommendation that way. technically they cant tell you what to take and how much - law suit stuff.

• Erika

The only time my children get cough medicine is if they have a nasty cold and are up all night coughing.

Coughing is the natural way to expel the phlegm. If you suppress the cough, the phlegm stays. Most cough medicine softens and breaks down the phlegm, hence it all goes back in the lungs. It's way healthier to cough it out.

They say that studies have shown that they do nothing to help the cough and that tends to cause parents to over medicate the kids to boot.

If i remember correctly anyway...

• Clo !

I have no freaking clue but if my child coughs, I do give them their cough medicine - period.