Help with my Christianity Studies?

Ive been given a topic for our Chrisian Life Class, we're doing a debate on the practicality of the bible and its rules

I hve to come with an essay on why some rules the bible has made for christians arent necessarily practical for 2009

eg premarital sex this counts for 20% of my grade and the respect of my teacher

Update:

i would just like some things that the bible says Christians are to do or are not to do that may not always be practical nowadays

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's not called "the narrow way" for nothing. Christianity always flies in the face of the culture that surrounds it such as your example.

Christianity may not be practical per se - such as a salesman lying to a potential client in order to close the sale. A Christian shouldn't stoop to such an unethical method, but the Christian gets a reputation for integrity and could get repeat business (word of mouth) from customers who've come to respect his integrity. The lying salesperson will have to troll for "new" customers in order to make his sales.

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" (Mark 8:36)

Source(s): www.biblegateway.com
  • 1 decade ago

The Bible tells us that King Solomon once observed a young man being seduced into premarital sex. Solomon compared the young man to “a bull that comes even to the slaughter.” A bull that is to be butchered seems to have no idea what is about to happen to it. Young ones who engage in premarital sex often behave similarly—they seem to show little or no awareness that there are serious consequences to their actions! Solomon said of that young man: “He has not known that it involves his very soul.” (Proverbs 7:22, 23) Yes, your “soul”—your life—is at stake.

For example, each year millions of youths contract a sexually transmitted disease (STD). “When I found out I had herpes, I wanted to run away,” says Lydia. She laments, “It is a painful disease that will never go away.” Over half of all new HIV infections worldwide (6,000 a day) occur among those who are between 15 and 24 years of age.

Females are particularly vulnerable to a host of problems related to premarital sex. In fact, the threat of STDs (as well as HIV) is higher for females than for males. If a young girl becomes pregnant, she places herself and her unborn child at further risk. Why? Because a young girl’s body may not have developed to the point of being able to handle childbirth safely.

Reject Harmful Propaganda

You should also take steps to protect yourself from the flood of sexual images and innuendos that are dispensed through books, magazines, music videos, video games, movies, and the Internet. The media portray premarital sex as glamorous, enjoyable, and risk free. The effect? Kenji admits: “I watched a show where sex was treated casually and even had homosexual overtones. As a result, I began to forget how seriously Jehovah God views these matters.”

The truth is, popular entertainment often cleverly masks the unpleasant realities of premarital sex—unwanted pregnancies, premature marriages, and sexually transmitted diseases. So do not be taken in by those “who are saying that good is bad and bad is good.”—Isaiah 5:20.

Remember the words of Proverbs 14:15: “Anyone inexperienced puts faith in every word, but the shrewd one considers his steps.” If you come upon sexually suggestive or arousing images while reading, surfing the Net, or watching TV, take immediate action! Close that book, shut down your computer, or switch channels! Then focus your thoughts on something else—something wholesome. (Philippians 4:8) By doing so, you can halt wrong desires before they have time to grow.—James 1:14, 15.

Source(s): Awake Magazine 7/22/04 Awake Magazine 8/22/04 See also Psalm 83:18
  • 1 decade ago

What rules aren't practical? The Bible is the Word of God .

What WE deem appropriate and inappropriate changes from generation to generation and even during the same time period there are differing ideas as to what is appropriate from culture to culture.

When we decide that WE know what is right and wrong then we have done what Satan did... We exalt ourselves like the Most High God.

And we know where Satan is destined to spend eternity.

God gave us guidlines for our own good, not His.

Please don't ever let ANYONE lead you to believe that ANYTHING in the Bible isn't practical.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Wow! You stand a chance of gaining the respect of your teacher! What about gaining the respect of God? There is nothing in the bible that's out dated except those things that man doesn't want to obey. That's the way it's been since Adam and Eve. You gonna disobey too? Why not speak the truth if you can find it in your heart to do so. In other words, why call yourself a Christian if you can't walk the walk? Obviously your teacher is missing the boat. Will you do the same?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Some of the Old Testament laws were foreshadowing what God was going to do through the Lord Jesus and the coming of the Holy Spirit.

For instance:

Colossi ans 2:11 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, 12 buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it. 16 So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, 17 which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.

Or these passages...

Hebrews 10:1 For the law, having a shadow of the good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with these same sacrifices, which they offer continually year by year, make those who approach perfect.

Hebrews 10:11 And every priest stands ministering daily and offering repeatedly the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins. 12 But this Man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins forever, sat down at the right hand of God, 13 from that time waiting till His enemies are made His footstool. 14 For by one offering He has perfected forever those who are being sanctified.

But the law against premarital sex said that if a man and a woman had sex before marriage then they needed to get married. Why? Because as the Lord Jesus quoted from Genesis 2 when asked about divorce...

Matthew 19:4 And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,' 5 and said, 'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH' ? 6 So then, they are no longer two but one flesh. Therefore what God has joined together, let not man separate."

And again it is written...

Hebrews 13:4 Marriage is honorable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

1 Corinthians 7:2- Nevertheless, because of sexual immorality, let each man have his own wife, and let each woman have her own husband. 3 Let the husband render to his wife the affection due her, and likewise also the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. 5 Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.

If "premarital sex this counts for 20% of my grade and the respect of my teacher" then you need to be faithful to God's Word and hope your teacher will respect your honesty and scholarship.

• 1 decade ago

Some rules in the old testament isnt necesssarily right for now... a good passage talking about that is Galatians 3:15-25

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The answer to all those questions is that the only reality is the religious life. This life is a shadow existence, its the least real thing.

Prepare to live forever.

Selling insurance, and raising food, and morticians will not

be issues in the next world.

• ed f
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Jesus spoke of the Spirit of the law, christianity is a religion and would probably try to make you follow the law.

• Selene
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Do your OWN homework, I did my 12 years

• 1 decade ago

You're on your own on this one. I'm sure the atheists around would be glad to help you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.