Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Why won't catholics give the blood of christ even if there is swine flu(its gods blood right,it shld be clean?

just to show that even the clergy who run the show, don't actually believe its the blood of christ

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago

Up until the institution of the Novus Ordo Missae in 1969, no laymen received the Precious Blood. Holy Communion was administered in the form of the Sacred Host only, placed onto the tongue of the kneeling recipient by the priest, as only the priest's hands are consecrated.

Receiving Holy Communion under both species is common these days, but from a Catholic point of view, it is actually highly unorthodox, and unnecessary.

The Sacred Host contains the True Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, as the Blood is in the Body, one needs not receive the Blood again separately.

In the case of an epidemic, it makes sense to withhold the Chalice from common use, as it is an easy way for illness to spread. This fact does not negate the veritability of the Transubstantial effects of the Consecration of the Eucharist.

Personally, I attend the Traditional Latin Mass, in which only the priest receives the Precious Blood from the Chalice.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

well, whilst catholics in theory believe in transubstantiation (whereby the wine literally turns into the blood of christ) i don't think this is actually the case with most catholics. it's just one of those things that is officially part of the faith, but that "sensible" people realise is just ridiculous. In the same way lots of catholics actually use contraception.

Then again, who's to say that blood cant be contaminated with swine flu. jesus may have been the son of god, but his bod was entirely human, so i dont see that his blood would have to be 100% clean...

• 1 decade ago

It may be the blood of Christ, but it's still just a worldly cup that everyone is sticking their germy mouths on.

Source(s): You'll get more answers if you phrase your questions in a way that makes coherent sense.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

yep its a germy cup that might be the problem, it would have to be administered from a water pistol at ten paces.

• 1 decade ago

What does this even mean?

• Dylan
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Huh? I don't get it.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.