Cosmetic contact lenses: Do I have to know my eye curvature?

I have light blue eyes and I am planning on buying some black contact lenses. I was about to order from Amazon, but I was wondering if you needed to know the curvature of your eye before you buy cosmetic contacts. HELP!

• Tiben1
    Favorite Answer

You cannot order lenses in the US, UK or Canada, even for cosmetic purposes, without a prescription. Think of it this way, would you expect your doctor to write a painkiller or prescription allergy medicine without having seen you? Contact must be fit by a doctor to make sure you are getting the best fit, materials, curve, sizes and permeability for your eye, and your cornea must be healthy enough to accommodate a lens. A poorly fit lens can cause damage, and even lead to blindness or loss of your eye.

Source(s): Optician

Note, this is a different Michael. Absolutely you need to know the curvature of your eye. You should be fitted by a qualified physician. Lenses that don't fit right can still cause SEVERE, BLINDING problems. Even though soft lenses are flexible, they can still cause problems.

I think the contacts are flexible enough that they just adhere to your eye, probably because eyes are not perfectly round.