Ashenzii asked in PetsOther - Pets · 1 decade ago

Are red foxes legal to own in NJ?

I have been researching this for a while and can't seem to find anything regarding foxes in the NJ laws. I'm not necessarily considering owning a fox of any sort, but I'm just curious. I know that owning a red fox is not the best idea, both for the animal and the owner.

• amy
    Favorite Answer

All nondomestic dogs are banned as pets.

Potentially Dangerous Species

Criteria for Possession of Potentially Dangerous Species

The following information is in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.8.

(a) "Potentially Dangerous Species" is defined as any exotic mammals, birds, reptiles or amphibians, or nongame species which, in the opinion of the Division, is capable of inflicting serious or fatal injuries or which has the potential to become an agricultural pest, or a menace to the public health, or indigenous wildlife populations, including but not limited to the following:

CLASS/ORDER FAMILY

Carnivora Canidae – Nondomestic Dogs

(b) The Department, at its discretion, may issue a permit for possession of a potentially dangerous species only after a clear showing that the criteria for the possession of such potentially dangerous species have been met.

CRITERIA FOR THE POSSESSION OF POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SPECIES

The following information is in accordance with N.J.A.C. 7:25-4.9.

(a) In addition to the general criteria in section 7:25-4.7, every person applying for a permit to possess potentially dangerous species shall meet each and every of the following criteria to the satisfaction of the Division:

3. Protection of the Public: The housing facilities shall also be constructed to prevent public access to and contact with the animal. >>>>The potentially dangerous species shall not be kept as a pet, for hobby purposes or in situations, which, in the judgement of the Department, could adversely affect the health of the animal or which could constitute a hazard to the public.

• Lisa R

Hmm.... I don't have proof of it, but I believe the law there requires you to get the permit that needs you to have 2-years of experience with the animal before hand, and the other two permits are pretty easy to get.

After that, then they're legal, but it takes a long time to get all those permits.

For any questions you could probably find you local DNR or Fish&Game's number on the internet, and then ask them - they control who gets permits or not, and they know what their own laws are. Hah.

Sorry if I wasn't very helpful, and good luck!