P/S: how do you explain the phenomenon of Michael Jackson?

I'm wondering how others explain the phenomenon of the love, fascination and even hatred of Michael Jackson? Yesterday I heard news reporters say how bad they feel for Whitney Houston because her drug use ruined her and how sad Patrick Swayzee's smoking was, then they cut to a story about Michael and made... show more I'm wondering how others explain the phenomenon of the love, fascination and even hatred of Michael Jackson?
Yesterday I heard news reporters say how bad they feel for Whitney Houston because her drug use ruined her and how sad Patrick Swayzee's smoking was, then they cut to a story about Michael and made him look like a deviant animal.
How do you explain the love/hate of Michael?
Update: millions loved him before he died. it was just many people who weren't really following him whom were not aware of that. And don't get me wrong, I really adore Whitney and have always kept her in my prayers and I think Patrick was amazing.