Can someone please help me with analyzing only the first verse of "White Man's Burden" please?

please just help me out.

Best Answer

Take up the White Man's burden--

Send forth the best ye breed--

Go bind your sons to exile

To serve your captives' need;

To wait in heavy harness,

On fluttered folk and wild--

Your new-caught, sullen peoples,

Half-devil and half-child.

This poem was about imperialism and the 'white' man trying to enforce their culture on other ethnics. It refers to European people as being 'childlike' and throwing their cultures on other cultures, like a tantrum from a child.

So in the first verse... its telling Europeans to put their best male children/fighters in the battle and make them bound to the armed forces and what their captains say in order to pressure what the Europeans considered 'wild nations' (other ethnics) to conform. The other ethnics are considered half devils and half child.

Hope this helped... I hated deciphering poems in college.

The first verse of the Kipling poem reads:

Take up the White Man's burden —:Send forth the best ye breed —Go, bind your sons to exile:To serve your captives' need;To wait, in heavy harness,:On fluttered folk and wild —Your new-caught sullen peoples,:Half devil and half child.

A straightforward analysis of the poem may conclude that Kipling presents a Eurocentric view of the world, in which non-European cultures are seen as childlike and demonic. This view proposes that white people consequently have an obligation to rule over, and encourage the cultural development of, people from other ethnic and cultural backgrounds until they can take their place in the world by fully adopting Western ways. The term "the white man's burden" can be interpreted simply as racist, or taken as a metaphor for a condescending view of non-Western national culture and economic traditions, identified as a sense of European ascendancy which has been called "cultural imperialism". A parallel can also be drawn with the philanthropic view, common in Kipling's formative years, that the rich have a moral duty and obligation to help the poor "better" themselves whether the poor want the help or not.

i hope i helped you out some.. there is more in the source.. good luck with whatever your doing. :)

• Sara

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/awzhJ

Why does your grandmother call blacks the "other" white man? I'm not sure why a Native American hasn't run for the White House yet. Blacks usually pave the way for other minorities in America so perhaps after this election, people of other ethnicities will be inspired to run. ::scratches head:: I don't know why you think I sound like communist, especially when we weren't even discussing economic structures...but I do think it would be wonderful to have a native american president. :)

I don't know that many Native American politicians. That's the main reason. I think there are more Hispanic Politicians than Native Americans. Get me a good candidate and get him in local office. Then work him on up the chain.

"Take up the white Man's burden" = Take responsibility for the task assigned [by God] to the white race

"Send forth the best ye breed" = Send off to foreign lands the best young people [of England or the United States]

"Go bind your sons to exile" = Assign your sons the task of going to foreign lands

"To serve your captives' need" = To take care of the foreign peoples you have taken control of [the colonized peoples]

"To wait in heavy harness" = To serve, bearing a heavy duty

"On fluttered folk and wild" = People who are unsettled and wild