Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

celeb parents giving their kids weird names?

my sister bought me a copy of prima baby because i am soon to give birth. i never really read stuff like that and wouldn't pay for it myself as i am not into women's mags much at all.

there was a lady in there that had called her daughter twiggy and her son rocco?

those poor kids, i would be really embarrassed if i had such an unusual name.

and what if 'twiggy' turns out to be 5'2 and plus sized? she won't be a twiggy at all and it would seem even more odd!

what is it with famous people giving their children silly names? do they not want to make them feel as normal as possible?

i know it's none of my business and it's totally up to them, but why do they do it?

lol apple picking you gave me a giggle.

i don't mean names that are just slightly unsual, but i mean names that don't even seem like names. i was going to call my baby willow if she were a girl but that is an actual name. twiggy isn't a real name and rocco is the name of a cartoon dog.

Favorite Answer

Here is what I AM TIRED of.

I am TIRED of people naming their girls boy names. Addison, Avery, Jamison, Parker, Evan, Skylar, Payton, Shiloh, etc. ALL BOY NAMES.

If I named a son Claire, they would sh*t their pants.

I am TIRED of people misspelling their children's names. If the child's name is Desiree, spell it that way, not Dezuraeh, Dezirayee, etc.

I am tired of all the ayden names. NOT CUTE

I am tired of celebs naming their kids after fruits.

I am tired of people naming their kids after celebs and their baby names.

I am a TC in baby names and these are the things I have to battle everyday.

add:

I prefer to stick to the traditional names or the names of other cultures.

There are so many classic strong names out their that would be unique but they are to wallered up in naming their kids after inanimate objects. UGH!!!

add:

ageofaquarius those names are not suitable for girls.

add:

i'm pretty open-minded actually, but i think it's funny that someone who claims to be so non-judgmental tends to think she has my life figured out by one answer i have given.

i'm sorry i put effort into my answers and i'm sorry that i'm correct.

I also find it ridiculous that you had to bring my sexuality into this question about baby names. That is not a relevant argument at all.

add:

obviously your first comment was rude or i wouldn't have been offended by it. i'm correct and that's that. you obviously aren't mature either, because i wouldn't call you out on something that you are like sexuality, race, etc.

this argument is over.

Source(s): oh btw the way, Willow is a great name. and i really got into this question.

Apple Picking makes a lot of EXCELLENT points, but on one.

Those boys names aren't even boys names- they're -surnames- but that doesn't disclude the process of lingusitic evolution.

Would you argue that Ashley is not a girls name? It is very much so now, but until about 150 years ago, it wasn't even a first-name for boys. It was a last name.

I think parents need to be considerate in naming their children, but that liberties should be permitted. I think names like Apple and Coco are fine! I even think Moon Unit Zappa was kinda cool (He wasn't called Moon Unit, just Moon)

So I don't think we should sacrafice freedom and creativity for a 50s style Stepford scenario, but subtlety is the key. If they want to call a child an interesting and unique name, make it the nickname. My nickname in real life is Treemeadow (Tree for short). My actual name is nothing like that (well, connected in meaning, but not sound).

Twiggy was probably named after the first supermodel, nicknamed Twiggy.

I agree with you. But Rocco is a name; was before a cartoon was named this. It is an italian name- not saying I would name my son this but it really is a name. Twiggy though - wft??

I don't understand who some people name their kids the names they do. But oh well its their kids, and they will have to live with their name unfortunately.

Apple: "Addison, Avery, Jamison, Parker, Evan, Skylar, Payton, Shiloh, etc. ALL BOY NAMES."

I agree with you expect I find Addison more feminine, I knew a boy named Addison, and he got made fun of a lot. Skylar- I have only EVER known girls with this name. And its Jameson.

• I think its stupid...hell, I remember reading on yahoo news a while ago that there was some POOR kid who's actual birth name is "Number 37 bus stop" which has something to do with the place of conception - PERSONALLY I wouldn't wanna know that kind of thing if I were that kid, but its gonna at some point!

Madonna's son is called Rocco.

I quite like unusual names for England like Alexis and Dylan, instead of George and Anna, but I wouldn't call my kids things like Apple and Knox.

lol @apple. I have to agree on the names with funky spellings. I think it's all just one more way that people go out of their way to gain attention / be "different". It has made me want to give my children the most traditional form of spelling for their names. My name is an alternate spelling (although a legitimate one) and I love it, but I do end up having to spell it to people every time.

The thing with celebrities. They're never home to call their kids these ridiculous names. Their nannies take care of them. The parents are always shooting a movie or tv show. The nanny is the parent. They are the one stuck calling them these stupid names. Coco Arquette.

• Simple

I'm with you on this one. It's a good laugh for me though, because MY child won't be the one teased for a ridiculous name. I like interesting and unique, but not a game of - Hey! Let's see how many children we can have to name after fruits/animals/vehicles. I like unique... not insane. :)

It's wrong. The kids will be riduculed by their peers and will hate their parents for it. Couples who give their kids stupid names should be forcibly sterilised and their offspring taken into care.

hey, Rocco is a wallaby (a miniature kangaroo) not a dog.

they want their kids to stand out i reckon... my name is Tuesday. i was named after an old actress called tuesday weld. i got a bit of stick wen i was younger but i love my name. wudnt want to be a plain jane :) xx