promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

If the road to hell is paved with good intentions...then what actions are needed other than good intentions?

Is attending church and listening the only requirements?

Will asking for forgiveness solve the dilemma of paving that road that leads to everlasting destruction?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Absolutely not! God promises that if you learn His will (1Tim 2:3,4) and then obediently and willingly do it (1Tim 4:15,16)which includes repentance-not just asking for forgiveness, you can be in an approved relationship with Him and like Abraham (who was not perfect) can be called His friend (James 2:23)! After all, even the demons believe there is a god but they will be destroyed (James 2:19).

The only way to accomplish this is by really getting to know God and Jesus (John 17:3). Would you not agree that if we love someone we would want to please them? (1John 5:3)

Source(s): The Bible
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It's Most Likely That "Good Intentions Leading To Hell " Refers To When We Intend To Do Things, But Neglect to Carry them out !! Often Our Neglect Leads To Our Failure In The Area Concerned ! Or Even More Dramatically Our Neglect Endangers, or Precipitates Problems, For Others!

Church Going, In Isolation, Wont Resolve This Situation.... And Asking For forgiveness Is repenting after the Event.... The Solution Will Come More Quickly By Reflecting On Our Own Failures to Act, And Resolving To Take Action as soon as We Recognise The need For It !

Source(s): As You Can See I Don't Necessarily Believe That This Is So Much A Religious Crisis as A Result of Apathy or Slothfulness Neither of which require Religious Solution..More one of Self Control !! ( Not Everything is based In The Religions even Though There May Be References to Most Events in The Religious texts..!! )
  • 1 decade ago

I'd begin by reminding you that this is a poetic statement; unbiblical.

To explain the statement, the poet was not claiming that the road was paved ONLY with good intentions.

Attending church and listening is nowhere close to the requirement for heaven; the action is meaningless. Faith in God and belief in His Son are what are required. Church is meant for the mutual spiritual edification of those who believe. If you think that going to church will get you into heaven, you are wrong. Speak to your pastor about this; but not a Catholic priest; their doctrines are severely misguided; many are unbiblical.

• 1 decade ago

I really like Will Rogers answers but if I may add a recent understanding I have been given.

Sometimes I just do not know what is the best intentions. I have come to understand to have no intention, neither what we call good or bad, leaves me open to be inspired with Right Intention. It is in stillness of thought, act, will, & intent that Right Intention, Right action, Right Will, & Right Thoughts may flow thru me.

Many Blessings!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Faith is the primary ingredient. Real, True faith is a life changing experience, just saying you have faith is meaningless. We are all human, at least most of us, and are therefore prone to making mistakes and committing sins. If we don't take the time and put out the effort to investigate who Jesus was and why it's important for us to seek the gift of faith, then it isn't likely that we will ever get that life changing experience. Many if not most people allow the cares of the world or just plain laziness get in their way of receiving the most precious gift ever offered to mankind. Lots of people "plan" on doing it someday, but just never get around to it. That is the real meaning behind that secular saying. It's derived from scripture, but I can't remember actually ever reading it in scripture.

• 1 decade ago

Me mum used to say

"The road to good intentions is paved with hell "..

makes more sense.

• 1 decade ago

I always wondered, if the road to hell is paved with good intentions, is the road to heaven paved with bad ones? If not, what is it paved with?

• 1 decade ago

Good intentions must be transformed into good qualities.

Good qualities must then be made unshakable within ones life.

~~~~~

"Good intentions" are necessary for one to travel on a long journey.

"Good qualities" are necessary for the journey to become successful.

~~~~~

"Good intentions" are necessary for one to develop "good qualities".

The Inner heart of a human being must become filled with "good qualities".

What are "good qualities", one might ask?

.........."Good qualities" are "God's qualities."..........

"God's qualities" must be observed, developed, and instilled within the inner heart of a human being.

The various qualities that have taken form within man must be transformed into God's qualities.

This must become the 'pure intention' of a human being!

This is how one will avoid traveling on the road that leads to hell, otherwise known as the dark path.

One should 'intentionally' choose the path of Light and avoid the path of darkness.

May the Peace and Blessings of God, be always with you.

Amen, and Ameen.

Salaams,

Source(s): a small insignificant sufi student and close companion....
  • Power
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

That saying comes when someone does something thinking that they are going to get something in return but end up having problems instead. People think if they do this or that it will make their life good but life doesn't work that way....god is law....electricity is law....if I stick something in a socket & get shocked, electricity is not judging me as if I did something bad. It will not judge you or a mass murderer but if we all do the same thing we get the same results cause it is the law of electricity at work....it is done unto us as we believe...so if you believe you can do something & get treated well whether what you do is good or bad doesn't matter it is what you believe that creates your reality.

• 1 decade ago

Great question!

The only flaw in your question is that you assume you can do something that will save you from Hell.

There isn't anything that you can do on your own. The Bible says that your good works won't save you. That is why the saying "the road to hell..." was created to begin with.

The only thing you can do to get off the road to hell is to repent and trust in Jesus Christ to save you.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.