is it ok to drink 1 day past expiration date milk?

it expired on the 14th

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Expiration dates are a guide for safe consumption of the food item. They are not carved in stone but a recommendation.

I have had milk that was still good a week or more after the expiration date that still tasted as fresh as when the carton was opened.I also have had milk that soured before the date on the jug. Factors such as temperatureand exposure to air are important to the quality of milk.

If in doubt you should smell it and then taste a small amount. Milk that is near the end of its shelf life will have a slightly acidic taste.

If you don't feel comfortable the don't use it to drink. Soured milk may be used for cooking instead as the heat destroys the bacteria.

I worked in a restaurant and we regularly used soured milk for sauces, pancakes and waffles. ( all used High heat)

Source(s): 10 years as a Pastry Chef and Chef's Assistant
  • 1 decade ago

Just yesterday I drank the rest of the milk in my refrigerator and the expiration date was the sixth so yeah. I'm still alive. =)

• jean d
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

yes. One day is fine. Sometimes even up to 3 days. Just keep a check on the smell

• 1 decade ago

If it smells fine, then yes. Expiration dates are estimates, sometimes it lasts longer, sometimes it goes bad a little earlier.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I wouldn't, but that's me. I'm very weird about expired stuff. All you have to do is smell it. You'll know right away if it's bad.

• 1 decade ago

As long as it has been properly refrigerated it should be fine. Give it a sniff -- if milk is off you will know it right away.

• 1 decade ago

u can smell it, but it dusnt give u so much...

take a little, warm it alot, n then try a bit

it shud be fine...one or 2 days dosnt matter

• 1 decade ago

+/- a day or 2 will be fine provided you have been keeping it properly and if doesn't smell sour.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NOT Reccomended

• 1 decade ago

Sure if it taste ok.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.