promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 1 decade ago

I think I'm F#@KED please I need help dealing with my insurance company?

I purchased a used 2008 Dodge Charger(I paid Cash) in January. I got the insurance at the dealership. I moved in February from my previous address where my insurance company had me on file; however, I updated my address with the company through customer service in February.

My dilemma:

I wrecked my vehicle in April, and I was told that I lost my collision coverage, due to the fact, that I never completed a Carco Inspection. (I live in NYC). However, I do not believe I should be at fault, because I had no prior knowledge of this Inspection prior to my accident, because the stupid Insurance company was mailing the Carco request to my old address... And now the agent who assigned me with the Insurance company is saying that, I was suppose to update him with my address and not the insurance company. WTFWTFWTF. I was confused how come the insurance company never updated his system with my information and why am I at fault, because I never heard of this type of inspection... That was my first vehicle and I had to literally drop out of my last semester of college because my gas peddle got stuck and I nearly died in the accident. And now I can't get a new car because I never did a Carco Inspection?????????? Can someone please help me out, because the insurance company is telling me that I would need to wait for the underwriting department to get back to them. Please help me out, there needs to be a loop-hole here...



I was told that I could give them the bill of sale; however, the dealership went out of business. And it’s funny that the agent who assigned me with the insurance has his personal line; but, he never gets back to me. The dealer keeps on saying that he would get back to me. And shouldn't the agent have the bill of sale??? I lost my bill of sale, because it was in the vehicle and the vehicle was in a lot where I lost the ownership, because I lost my collision coverage and I was being billed $400 for the tow and $50 per day. And should I mention that I was in the hospital in critical condition for 10 days (20 days in total). And I recently came from a death in the family from Dominican Republic, and now I’m trying to fight for the medical as well as for the vehicle insurance. Can someone please help me out, because I honestly can't afford a lawyer and I just finished paying for my tuition and I don't have any expendable income.

Update 2:

The insurance company is The Hartford

Thanks for your help, I think I do need to contact a lawyer.

Update 3:

I need help because my school is located 2 1/2 hours away from my residents using public transportation and I just want my car back: I literally saved my money for two years in-order to purchase that vehicle. And it hurts so much that I almost lost my life in the accident and my Insurance does not want to pay my car off because I never did an inspection that I had no prior knowledge of.

Can someone please please help me out

Update 4:

I was told by The Department of Insurance, that I had to have taken the Carco Inspection, in-order to satisfy the requirments of the NY State Collision Coverage. And that I am not at fault; however, there is nothing they could do. And I should either contact an attorney or I should see if there are any loop holes with "THE HARTFORD" that would satisfy the Carco Inspection. Such as, a Bill of Sale (I can't obtain it because the dealership went out of business and the agent claims that he does not have a copy), the Sticker price (this is only if the vehicle was new) or the Lease Agreement (I purchased the vehicle cash). What can I do, because I don't have enough funds for a lawyer.....

2 Answers

  • lucy
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I am confused. As a general rule if you had called the insurance company and updated your address, their computers should be linked to the agents also and vice versa. I am guessing you also did a change of address thu the post office also??

    If as they said that you should have notified your agent also of the change of address, then why did the CSR notify you of that, then you could have called your agent after speaking to the CSR at the company.

    My guess is that the CSR never put your change of address in the computer, so they would only have your original address on file to send you a notice. As a general rule when you call in, they will put a note in your file of the reason for your call. The note will also note the date/time of your call.

    You don't state what insurance company this is. But some companies such as State Farm and Allstate are exclusive agents that work only for those companies, meaning if you have an accident, make changes to your policy, you call the agent 1st, then the agent calls the company. But their computers are linked together, so that when you get a notice, it will be from the main insurance office and also list the insurance agent name and phone. When the agent makes changes, it also goes into the main computer of those changes. They want you to go thu the agent to eliminate phone calls to the company, but the agent is not going to call them also, but to put in the computer that is linked to the insurance company.

    You have some serious problems and most likely will need the advice of a insurance lawyer. Call around and see if you can get 1 FREE CONSULT for your legal rights. Many will do and if the lawyer thinks you have a chance, you can then hire them. But don't call and ask to talk to a lawyer, since you will need to sit down and talk to them personally. Grab any evidence you may have; ie; original policy, your registration, title since you paid cash and if you can locate any mail you received.

    good luck and hope you get better.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Carco inspections are required in New York

    For any vehicle that carries other than collision coverage (also known as comprehensive) and/or collision coverage, with the following exceptions:

    Vehicles that are 7 model years old or older.

    New and unused vehicles (current or next calendar year with less than 3,000 miles on the odometer). In order to waive the inspection, you must provide: 1) a bill of sale, or 2) a copy of the lease agreement and a copy of the window sticker showing the itemized options and equipment.

    For an additional and/or replacement vehicle, where you have been continuously insured with Unitrin Direct for 4 or more policy years.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.