I'm purchasing a Meade lx200-ACF Telescope. I can't decide which one to get.?

I'm purchasing a new Meade lx200-ACF telescope but I can't decide whether to get the 10" or the 12". I know the larger one is better but it's also heavier and I don't know how often I'll have someone around to help me set it up. (I'm an adult male in pretty good shape).

So is the 12" that much better for viewing planets, nebulas etc...?

Thanks.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

I really appreciate it.

Favorite Answer

Visit a large club that has members with those scopes. The website www.skyandtelescope.com has a search function for that.

For decades I have used an older Celestron SCT ten inch, and years ago I used a new Meade SCT twelve inch of a friend's. According to standard ideas of resolution, the twelve should give slightly better images (20% finer?). Both give very nice images, but the big limitation to viewing planets at high magnification is our atmosphere. If you have very calm, clear air with a planet high out of the haze, then you can get good images with many telescopes. But those nights are rare. And no night will give you better than one or two arc seconds of resolution at best. That standard is not as good as what either ten or twelve inch scopes can do if they are very good ones under a "perfect sky".

For faint objects, the larger scopes show them better, but for a ten to a twelve, some might not see much improvement. Up to a fourteen or sixteen, that would be a big difference to most viewers.

Another important point is how you use the scope. If you have an observatory, where a setup is ready to use, then a big scope is a pleasure. But if you have to struggle with moving, packing, driving to a deep sky sight, setting up, and then finally using it, a big scope will be more of an anchor than a pleasure.

Source(s): Fifty-one years of using and building telescopes of many types, up to twenty-five inch size.

The 12 inch is NOT very portable. It really takes two people to put it on the tripod safely. The 10 inch is about as big as you want to go if you are usually alone when you observe.

Check out the weights on these two telescopes.

• GeoffG

If your primary interest is planets, then I wouldn't consider a Schmidt design at all. Their huge central obstructions make them far from the best planetary telescopes. If you can't afford a large apo (most of us can't) then a high quality Newtonian with a mirror by Carl Zambuto and a small central obstruction would be my first choice. I have a Zambuto 11" Newtonian and a Celestron 11" SCT, and for planetary viewing the Zambuto is miles ahead of the Celestron.

this is why you should look through them before you buy. that's the only real way to answer this question. i can't answer it for you. nobody here can.

all other things being equal, aperture is what you want. as long as you can lift it...

later: geoff makes a good point, as usual. scts are good all-round scopes, useful at just about everything, but not brilliant at any one thing. i have several scopes as a result, a big dob, a triplet apo, even a couple of weirdies like a klevtsov.

I really, really love Tina's very frank answers..! Very straightforward. She's right. You want it, lift it!

Clear skies!