When I type a letter, this ˚ symbol comes up, and my dash doesn't work?

It's my 'k' key, whenever I press it, it comes up with this symbol

˚ and shift, . (e.g. wor˚, brac˚et..) I have a MacBook.

I got the k by copying and pasting..I'm getting really pissed off now with it. My dash and square brackets don't work either, as far as I know, they're the only keys that don't work. Please help me as this is driving me insane and I have no idea what the hell I've done :O

It sounds like you switched languages and/or keyboard layouts. I'm not familiar with Macs but in Windows Control panel there is a section for "Regional and Language Options" which allows you to change the keyboard layout and the input language. I have used that on occasion to get "unusual" letters like the a, o, and u with the dots over top (used in German) or letters with accents over top (used in French). You will need to locate the equivalent settings on your Mac and make sure you have them set to the correct language.

Try googeling "change keyboard layout on mac" and you will find lots of help. Here is an example:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA23536