promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

How do the complementary therapy work alongside orthodox medicine?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Complementary therapies do work along side orthodox medicine and ‘Complementary’ medicine has a history stretching back thousands of years. All you have to review is Chinese’s herbalist history. The therapeutic roots extending back to Zhou Dynasty, Late Bronze/Early Iron Age at about 2500 to 3000 years ago. It’s only in modern times that orthodox medicine appeared and along with pharmaceuticals.

The earliest drugstores date back to the Middle Ages however most of those were comprised of herbal concoctions. It wasn’t until the early 19th century that the true pharmaceutical industry as we know it today was formed. So we are taking about only a 100 year time frame and look at the explosion of diseases that followed. Cancer was practically unknown as well as autism.

So I will take a thousand of years of history over one hundred. Now, onto the question of whether or not work alongside orthodox medicine, let’s look at real scientific peer reviewed medical literature. That will provide evidence of whether or not complementary therapies work.

Lab grade Beta 1, 3-d glucan, more commonly referred to as Beta glucan is a perfect example. It is a dietary supplement that you can find in any good herb shop, however you have to find the right beta glucan product. There is a lot of garbage out there. IN a study conducted at the University of Louisville beta glucan was use for testing with cancer providing some dramatic results. “soluble yeast beta-glucan to override the normal resistance of iC3b-opsonized tumor cells to the cytotoxic activation of phagocyte and NK cell CR3, allowing this important effector mechanism of the C system to function against tumor cells in the same way that it normally functions against bacteria and yeast.”

Further studies on influenza, infectious diseases, diabetes as well as a host of others have proven it to be very effective. It has also been proven to be a very effective adjuvant; here are some real science peer reviewed studies on the subject;

Hunter KW Jr, Berner VK, Sura ME; "Conjugation of protein antigen to microparticulate beta-glucan from Saccharomyces cerevisiae: a new adjuvant for intradermal and oral immunizations," Dept of Microbiology and Immunology, U of Nev Sch of Medicine, Reno, NV 89557, USA. Appl Microbiol Biotechnol; PuMed 18677470; Epub Aug 2, 2008:

Browder IW., Williams D., Sherwood E., McNamee R., Jones E., DiLuzio N., “Synergistic effect of nonspecific immunostimulation and antibiotics in experimental peritonitis”, Surgery 102 (2): 206-214. 1987.

Jamas S, Easson D, Ostroff G: "Underivatilized aqueous soluble beta (1,3) glucan, composition and method of making same." U.S. Patent Application 20020032170, March 14, 2002.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Marie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes, yes we use complementary therapies. When we turned 50 we asked a naturopath to suggest minerals and herbs for over 50s. We feel that they really help with our health. We are much more into prevention rather than cure. We have a really great chiropractor who puts our bones into alignment. We think he has healing hands - he does great stuff for us, our family and friends. Got rid of the tingles in my fingers, my frozen shoulder, my partner's back problems and sciatica, etc. Our chemist is a naturopath as well which I think is wonderful - best of both worlds.

• 1 decade ago

In the United States, when standard medical offices incorporate complementary therapies into their services the complementary practitioners work under and answer to the medical doctors.

Other times the two different groups of practitioners can work out of the same office providing cross referral while remaining independent of each other.

Well established complementary practices, such as Acupuncture, work extremely well with standard Western medical practices.

Source(s): Certified Acupuncturist
  • 1 decade ago

As a Reiki practitioner and an Herbalist (certified in both), I feel that they walk hand in hand. Alternative therapies were never meant to take the place of more traditional medicines, but to decrease the need for them and/or to complement them either by keeping the body strong and healthy or taking care of a symptom of the "dis"ease that traditional medicines can't or aren't.

I hope this helps. I am at windstarhealing.webs.com if you have any questions.

Take care!

Source(s): Certified Reiki practitoner and Herbalist, and a psychic.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

They don't. You can't mix pseudoscience with real science. You can't mix anecdotal treatments with evidence based treatments. You can't mix unknown effects with known effects, and you can't mix unknown side effects with known side effects. In fact that is a dangerous thing to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.