What would cause this? Its driving me nuts?

I have aWindows Vista and there are my pictures that I use as screensaver by doing the slideshow. Whenever that is on its like it has a mind of its own. Sometimes I can get it to exit, sometimes I have to shut off the computer to get it off. I am going bonkers X{ !! Help me somebody.I have Norton Antivirus, it stopped working just like that, caput. The computer is slowing down and sometimes after I get the screen saver off the resolution is disgustingly crazy. I'm not the only one who uses the computer, I have teen brother. Could it be something we downloaded or what? Give me scenarios people, I have no money to take this thing back to Best Buy, Again...

Best Answer

1. Norton AntiVirus is a resources hog. So it could be using a lot of memory and there is not much left for other things to use.

Remedy: Get rid of Norton and get another Anti Virus program like McAfee

http://www.mcafee.com/

Another thing is, Norton does not get as many viruses as McAfee, so you could be infected by a virus. (This used to be the case, so I guess it probably still is).

2. You may have some spy ware, ad ware, etc.

Remedy: Get Spybot Search & Destroy. Check if there are updates for it. Download all updates. Run the program Spybot. Check For Problems. Then Immunize.

http://www.safer-networking.org

That is about all, apart from doing normal house keeping on your computer. I am not sure whether these steps would be the same for Vista. If not, you may be able to look on the help that came with Vista to find out how to do them.

First up, remove all of the files in the Recycle Bin.

Click on the Recycle Bin

Click Empty the Recycle Bin.

Go to your Start menu, and click on it.

Click on All Programs, a list should come up.

Move your mouse over the folder Accessories, another menu will come up.

Move you mouse over the folder System Tools.

Click on the program called Disk Cleanup. You may need to double click on it.

It may take a while to start up, so you will have to wait. Do not press cancel.

After the waiting period, a window will appear.

In this window, you want to select the following options, or make sure they have a X next to them.

Downloaded Program Files

Temporary Internet Files

Debug Dump Files

Temporary Files

WebClient/Publisher Temporary Files

Compress old files. (I do not do this one, but you may want to. You can also choose not to select it, follow the rest of the instructions, and if your hard drive capacity is still low, come back here and select this one.)

Click on the OK button and wait for it to complete. This will probably take a long time as well, so you will have to wait.

Next:

Go to your Start menu, and click on it.

Click on the program called Disk Defragmenter.

Select your hard drive.

Click on Analyse. Wait for it, it may take some time.

Then click on Defragment. It will also take a while to complete.

After this has completed, you can view the report by clicking the View Report button.

Then close this window.