Niece wants $22,000 to attend college.?

I have a divorced sister in law with 2 daughters. We and my wife's other sister have over the past 10 years subsidized them by either allowing them to live in our homes or financially. They would live with us until it hit our breaking point at which we would pass them off to the other sister and vice-versa. ... show more I have a divorced sister in law with 2 daughters. We and my wife's other sister have over the past 10 years subsidized them by either allowing them to live in our homes or financially. They would live with us until it hit our breaking point at which we would pass them off to the other sister and vice-versa. This went on for 6 years until we forced them to support themselves into a $600 /month apt. The girls resented us for bouncing them back and forth saying we spoiled our children (5) while giving them our scraps. Now the oldest Niece aparently has been accepted to an Ivy school in England and her financing has fallen thru. For 6 months this child refused to apply to a community college and was upset we we would say they won't have the money for school.I figured she actually would need closer to $30K for school. She now says she can't change her plans its too late and wants 22K to go to school. I'm not what I consider wealthy, but they think i am from their position. I said I have 5 of my own kids and think it is unrealistic and rude to ask. I had planned originally to give a simple $200-500 as a gift. Their bad attitude and resentment for what we've done to help them in the past has really put a bad taste to helping them in the future. Do most families pull together to pay for a neices college bills or is my sister in law and neice being unrealistic?
4 answers 4