Paul asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Harmones seem to play a part in heart disease. Estrogen seems to be good and testerone negative. My question?

has anyone done a study to determine how hormone therapy has affected transgender people? I would like to know if estrogen shots could benefit people with heart disease?

• Dr. T
    Favorite Answer

Interesting question...

We do know that estrogen has cardioprotective effects (testosterone does not specifically have negative effects on the heart, it just lacks the protective effects.)

Among young otherwise healthy women who've had radical hysterectomies ("surgical menopause") the hormone replacement therapy (HRT) still provides the cardioprotective effects. After natural menopause, long term estrogen-only HRT is linked with gynecologic cancers. (Note: Including progesterone in HRT for post-menopausal women helps prevent the increased cancer risk.)

As I'm sure you're aware, the transgendered population is unfortunately under-represented in scientific studies. But we can extrapolate the data above to very reasonably infer that trasgendered individuals who receive HRT also would benefit from the cardiovascular "protection" of estrogen.

All of that said, while estrogen has cardioprotective effects it is generally not considered any kind of "treatment" for cardiovascular disease. (Not sure if that was what you were asking?) We don't take hormone treatment lightly, because the interplay/feedback mechanisms among hormones are in delicate balance. So any time you include hormone therapy in a protocol, you have to be aware of (and manage) the trickle-down effects you'll have on the multitude of systems throughout the body.

Source(s): Naturopathic Doctor (LGBTT-friendly)

Africa is not an impoverished continent, its the people who are. There are more than enough natural resources in Africa to support its economy. Diamonds, Tilapia, etc.There is a major criminal element at play there. There are people who profit greatly from Africa's strife there and right here on American soil. THey must be contended with before money is poured into Africa, otherwise it will sift through the hands of those who need it and land in the pockets of war lords and drug traffickers. I think Americans have become desensitized to the plight of Africa. Ever since I was a small child I remember seeing the faces of starving children staring out of my Saturday morning TV and breaking my heart. I think after 2 dedades of watching Africa suffer people have convinced themselves that its hopeless and nothing more can be done. The government has given some limited support to Africa over the years but no serious initiative has been taken. More Americans have to speak out on Africa's behalf if anything is to be done. And speak out against a govn't which proposes to be humanitarian but which uses a pretense of humanitarian efforts to wage a war for financial profit. But lets not go there. I do believe that Africa has to meet us halfway though. I don't believe that America should be the police/caretakers of the planet. They need the aid and they are asking for it, unlike the Middle East. If a proper plan is structured then change is possible.