Are teenage girls and boys who are in a relationship 'characterless'?

Girls in particular..maybe not so much in first world nations but societies in third world countries seem to perceive so, what do you think? Be free to express your view, I will not take this personal.

Thats fine, Dendroaspis...but I want to know YOUR views.

• Qualia
    Favorite Answer

Not exactly characterless, but people tend to feel insecure because of the age involved..I mean 17-18 years ,people in a conservative society tend to think that it isnt the age to sustain a stable relationship,since decisions involved are more emotional rather than being stable.

Also the kind of lifestyle one lives play a crucial role, normally that is the age to study,and in a country like India you are worthy only when you own a degree which helps you to fetch a living(or atleast thats what it has been so far),so getting into love during that stage is considered extremely unsafe by some

The "characterless" is the relationship is because of the decision making, many do it simple because of peer pressure,and take wrong choice of people which often could result in breakups,lose virginity, break ups are so common in first world countries,so they are able to deal with it, but it isnt so in our country, so its an extremely volatile age for a relationship

My views are that its the time to wait and watch.If you have a good understanding with your partner then it can help a lot in stability

• вєи

Characterless is too strong a word to stereotype the whole group of youngsters who give in to their capriciousness.

Love is a feeling, and it comes from inside(at least in most cases) let it be at whatever age. It's too strong to be neglected. Some can ignore that and move forward, some can't. That isn't the lack of character. It's just the immaturity of the age. I would say.

What do you say about someone who had made numerous cuts on the skin of his forearm, and give a reason that he had fallen out with his girl friend. I knew him personally, and he was hardly 14 then. Is it just the lack of character, or is it a state of mind?

A teenager being in a relationship alone is not enough to term them as 'characterless', but if the relationship breaches the bounds of morality, then there is a good reason to call as 'characterless' or rather 'they lack character'

• Amit

Look, I just can't understand a point in teenage relationships. I'd point why I don't believe in such relationships:

1.They mean nothing, teenagers aren't able to love (IMO). It's just lust, infatuation, or whatever you call it. They enter a relationship to kiss and /or to get laid.

2. Why would you want to enter a relationship at the age you should be studying? It is bound to interfere in your studies and distract your mind towards other things.

3. A relationship is supposed to culminate into marriage, if it goes well. Are teenagers good enough to take such a step? A definite no.

And well, characterless? You're characterless only if you sleep around with random folks. And I won't call even them characterless, I have no right to judge people, they are free to do whatever they want.

I don't believe in teenage relationships and IMO, people should keep it to the level of friendship. You should enter a relationship only when you are mature enough to look for a partner.

Just looked up the definition of term characterless and according to dictionary definition characterless means - lacking distinct or individual characteristics; dull and uninteresting.

i don't think , if a boy and a girl enter into any kind of relationship,they become dull and uninteresting or lack distinct or Individual characteristics.

But i know what you are trying to say,you are basically talking about immorality .no i don't think so ,either girl or a boy doesn't become characterless ,because it is natural for a boy to get attracted to a girl,this is the way nature has built us and for a very good reason so. if out of this attraction boy and girl enter into relationship ,i don't see how that is wrong and how does make a girl or a boy immoral.

Well if you like some one and want to spend your rest of life with him/her and enter into relationship with that view,i think that sort of ensures that you are marrying the person whom you love and understand very well.

In west such relationships before marriage are quite common and in fact are encouraged,because a boy or a girl is supposed to find his/her life partner,but in India premarital relationships are frowned upon,because our forefathers and older generations never entered into such kind of premarital relationships.and they still believe that family should select boy/girl for their children and that's why they don't want them to enter into any kind of relationships before marriage.

sorry for such a long answer,but if i see a question which stimulates me ,i just pour my heart out and reveal my innermost thoughts about the topic in discussion.

Not me,I am an annoying Royalist who likes to brag a lot,How can you call that characterless?

if being in love is characterless..i wonder wat character means..just pretending dat ur not attracted to a guy and ending up being a hypocrite?????

i think its all a part of growing...some ppl r immature evn at 30 yrs of age so it doesnt depend on your age it depends on ur maturity level..if ur mature enough to keep the relationship going then ur perfectly fine...!!!

i think its a matter of concern in india..coz if ur mom sees one one of ur frndz with a guy..she immediately comes to home and says dont speak to her:(its horribly conservative..sad but true..i think here girls r supressed to contain their feelinga nd dats pathetic

• ?

Well, when I was in high school I had no character whatsoever; so yeah, I kind of agree.

Sorry to the high school kids, you'll understand someday.

• ITT top contributor asks an extremely generalized question

What the heck are you babbling about?

i call them.."normal"

its all a part of growing up.