just changed the oil on my bmw 633 and i hear a ticking noise?

its coming from the top of the engine. the old oil was really dirty. Why did the ticking start after i changed the oil?

Best Answer

I had a friend that had a 1963 FORD Econoline van. He never changed the oil. I asked why? He said he was afraid that if he did it would fall apart. Now I realize that would not happen. When you do not change the oil in an engine as it gets dirty it will act as a glue if you will. Some parts will get a build up of this old oil over time and hide problems. Oil has detergent and other additives added to it to help our engines operate properly. You put clean oil in an engine that could potentially have some dirty oil hiding a problem. It sounds like you may have a faulty lifter or a rocker arm out of adjustment or valve spring sticking. Without hearing the engine it is very difficult to diagnose what the actual problem could be. I would take the vehicle to a reputable mechanic and have the probelm diagnosed. With noises in the engine it is better to find out what they are, before the turn into loud noises.

Good Luck,

William

Double check your fluid level. Even old tired engines, if you put in lucas oil additive that will help, could be a stuck lifter.

That happened to my friend on his 330i. The next time he drove it, he got about a mile and his belt broke ( I think) and oil sprayed everywhere and had to call AAA to get his car towed to his house! Get it checked out asap