Oil painting starter set?

My wife is interested in starting oil painting (complete beginner with potential raw talent). Can anyone recommend a good starter set or essential equipment to get started. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

To get started in oil painting you need:

Oil paint: You can use regular oil paint or the new water-soluable oil paint, which is much less stinky and can be cleaned-up with soap and water (vs turpenoid). You should get a warm and cool hue in each of the primary colors, such as: Cadmium Red and Alizarin Crimson; Ultramarine Blue and Cerulean Blue; Cadmium Yellow and Lemon Yellow. You also need some neutrals like: Yellow Ochre; Burnt Umber; and Burnt Sienna. Then you will need a big tube of white. (You don't need black, as that's easily mixed from the primary colors.) You will also need some stand oil or something simular to thin the paint (you don't use water or turpenoid to do this!). Make sure that if you get water-soluable oils that you get water-soluable stand oil; and if you get regular oils, get regular stand oil! I use Winsor & Newton water soluable oils.

You'll need brushes. For regular oil paints, get boar bristle brushes. For water-soluable oils, get the "Artisan" brand brushes from Winsor & Newton (or something similar). They work a LOT better with water than boar brisle do. You'll need round, flat and filbert (cat's tongue). What sizes? Well, it depends on the size of the canvas she paints--bigger canvas = bigger brushes. Get at least one small round "rigger" and a small flat for detail work. Then maybe a medium flat and a medium filbert and a large flat.

Palette: Wood, plastic and glass all work well. They have disposable paper palettes that are very popular too.

Palette Knife for mixing. Get one with a small diamond-shaped head for mixing. The straight ones are for palette knife painting. Mixing color with a palette knive will save the bristles on your brushes!

Canvas: Basically, you've got 3 choices: Stretched Canvas (most expensive; Canvas Paper (in pads, and least expensive); and canvas boards. I find the canvas boards easiest to use and store.

Easel: It can be a tabletop easel or floor easel. A foldable lightweight aluminum tabletop easel is a good way to start.

Brush Cleaner: This is a MUST BUY item! There is no better way to ruin your brushes than not to clean them properly after each painting session. "The Master's Brush Cleaner" is the most popular cleaner around. Just get a small container to start--you don't use much. It conditions the brushes as well as cleans them--much better for them than using regular, drying soap.

Paint rag & paper towels

Turpenoid and a turpenoid container if using regular oil paints. Or water and a water container (old tin cans work perfectly well for water) if you are using water soluable oil paints.

After buying all this, she probably will take it out for a test drive once and decide she has no idea what she is doing and put it away. If you REALLY want her to use these paints, you should add some painting instruction with the present. I've found the best deal on that is through a community college. You'll likely pay the same price for a whole semester of classes at a commuinty college that you would pay for one with a private teacher. Often they will have "Emeritus" courses that are low cost for seniors, if she falls in that category. You could also purchase a basic "How to Paint" book. I like the Walter Foster books as they are inexpensive, concise and easy to understand.

Good luck shopping. I hope this helps!

Art Goddess

Oil Painting Set

Oil Paint Kit

If she must use oils check out www.cheapjoes.com for art supplies on line. I buy from them and they have great sets to start with that will have everything included.

But - consider acrylic set as it thins with water, smell so much less, easy water clean up, drys fast and you can paint much the same as oils for a beginner. You can use the same kind of brushes and it is less toxic. Most will not be able to see the difference when completed.

She can even experiment with it like a watercolor, creating washes on paper.

No matter what the decision you will find the supplies you need there.

Good luck and have fun.

Source(s): I am an artist of 45 years and not an employee of cheap joes
  • Asia

I wish I could give you a proper answer really sorry I can't but I do think that the brand doesn't matter too much, if it's for say colouring pencils I use derwent because of the many colours and hardness of the lead and how it can smudge and blend, (you'd be suprised at the difference and results) it's just brilliant but I thiink paint is paint so it shouldn't matter too much, this might be a crap answer so sorry if it is If she's just starting out then just buy the cheapest one with as many colours as possible and she might experiment more after this by maybe seeing paintings online and finding out what paints were used, that's what I've done :) I hope I helped somewhat