Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMotorcycles · 1 decade ago

what if the light doesnt change for you and your motorcycle?

Sometimes I will be in a turning lan at a intersection and the light wont change for me, is there any laws about this, can i just run the light? I live in oregon.

spike your why i hate women.. read the question, you fail..

Best Answer

there are sensors in the ground at a stop light and the sensors most of the time only sense cars and trucks etc motorcycles are not heavy enough there is a trick to fix this stick a very strong magnet to the very bottom of your bike problem solved trust me this works

Some sensor circuits are more sensitive than others. Try different positions on the loops. Usually there are three lines there in the grid. The center one hardly ever works for a bike. The best one is the one on the left because the traffic almost always stops on that one. The magnet theory is BS too. I ordered one from Bikers Highway and put it on my bike. I tried a light I knew wouldn't change for a bike and it had no effect. I know this light doesn't recognize bikes from the turn lane on either circuit, so I just avoid that intersection all the time. It only adds a quarter mile to my trip home and there are several different streets I can use. This way I don't seem like I am stalking anyone in a certain neighborhood and I don't get bored. You may try getting a really large magnet but I seriously doubt it to be any stronger than the rare earth one I installed. The sensors use mass instead of weight to sense traffic and a bike just doesn't have a whole lot of metal mass. The Department of Transportation can adjust the sensors but many times they get them where they are tripped by the metal in a shoe if they aren't careful. That means they can be tripped by a car getting CLOSE to them.

Source(s): Tried everything and then some. I just avoid bad sensors or go with the traffic flow.

The road sensors are electromagnetic detectors which can only sense ferrous metal IE steel or iron. Your mostly aluminum and alloy bike is hard for the sensors to detect. Weight, as is commonly misunderstood, has absolutely nothing to do with it. Different patterns of sensor loops have differing sweet spots. Meaning the sensor is more likely to detect your bike if positioned over a certian part of the loop. Have a look at diagrams in the link below. Use them to position your bike in an area of the loop to make detection more likely. You will find that triggering the detector is sucessfull much more often. There remain those few lights that just wont respond and a note to your local traffic saftey department will give the traffic engineers a chance to correct the problem. That note also serves as an aid to your defence in cort should you be sited for running the light.

Most states have a law that allows any vehicle to go through a red light if it doesn't change after a reasonable amount of time.

Even if your state doesn't allow running a light, I'm sure you can plead your case in court and the judge will rule in your favor.

The tar strip on the ground that is shaped in a square on the asphalt has a sensor with an electrical current running through it.

When a large metallic object (car/truck) is over the sensor, the electrical circuit is disrupted and the light changes to green.

Put down the kickstand of your bike on the ground and let it rest directly on the tar strip..

That will be enough metal to disrupt the electrical current.

• eff

This happens from time to time. Sometimes it's because the bike has too little effect on the sensor. Sometimes the sensor is just plain broken and won't detect cars either. Traffic lights supposedly are programmed to give a green from time to time to all directions even if there is no vehicle detected but sometimes even this does not appear to happen and you can be stuck at red forever. I suspect the law may vary from place to place. Where I do most of my riding, it's illegal to go through a red light regardless and one is expected to find an alternative route. This is not always an ideal solution, for example on a one way street. Personally after many cycles, I check very carefully for any conflicting traffic or police (better to avoid conflicts) and then enter the junction. Also check for cameras placed to photograph vehicles that go through red lights. If there is one and its operated by wire loops after the stop line then with a bike one can avoid the loops.

Dunno about Oregon, but Minnesota, where I live, and quite a few other states have recognized the problem and enacted legislation that allows a motorcycle to run a light after stopping if his bike does not trip the sensor.

Even in other states, there has to be a cop to see you before you really have a problem. Even then, most cops understand your dilemma and will give you a pass if you watch for cross traffic before running the light. You have to run into a dick of an officer, or act like a dick yourself, in order to get a ticket. If you do, fight it in court, make the cop show up, and raise the defense of necessity. If it ever gets that far, you are truly cursed, for it is a rare judge who will not cut you some slack.

• Erika

below the pavement there is an inductive-loop site visitors detector. This loop detects the quantity of iron interior the loop. the project is that maximum motorcycles incorporate extra aluminum alloys and fiberglass than iron. There are instruments which you dangle from the backside of your bike that can help with this. All they are literally are neodymium magnets that fool the sign into thinking that there is a much bigger steel merchandise interior the loop. The magnets interior an previous computing device stressful rigidity are neodymium magnets. you need to salvage some from an previous stressful rigidity and fasten them to the backside of your bike, as low as available. yet another element to objective is to provide up close to the fringe of the loop. you are able to tell the fringe of the loop by way of the observed cuts interior the pavement. turn off the engine and re-start up the bike. The magnetic sign generated from the starter could be adequate to set off the sensor. you'll be able to additionally attempt combating close to the fringe of the loop. placed the element stand down. The steel element stand close to the loop could be adequate to set off the sign. not all towns have "call for-actuated" site visitors alerts. do not assume this to paintings in any respect situations. no count if this is not a "call for-actuated" site visitors sign and you run the crimson gentle, you need to set your self up for a hefty wonderful.

Of course there laws against running a red light. But that is the only option, look for a cop, pick an open spot and go, Be nice to the cop and explain your reason, nice will get a warning, rude will get you a ride downtown.

I have a remote oil filter on my chopper and I put a couple of strong magnets on it, taped them on good and tight. This did two things, it works on the sensors very well and they help to trap any metal that may be in the oil. Some people say "BS" as far as tripping the sensors but, I swear it works. BTW, I always use the far left strip in the road with the magnets directly over it.

Hahaha, yeah, been there done that.

I have waited til the light ran through the entire circuit without sensing the motorcycle, some of them use weight, and you are screwed.

When that happens I just pick a time when there is no opposing traffic and go, what else can you do?

I was pulled over once and I explained what happened and the cop said OK but that is their choice, they dont have to.

I've never heard the diagonal theory, I will try it, interesting.

Very often lights like this can have a camera positioned on top to operate them and teens love to move them so that you are not in frame.Just reverse a few yards and position yourself where you think the camera is pointing directly at you,wave ,smile and say cheese and off you go.