HAHA! asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

can i drink while taking Lexapro?

Can i drink alcoholic drinks while taking 10mg of Lexapro every morning? Before i started taking Lexapro, i would drink, not alot, but i would drink like on weekends, taking shots and stuff, but i stopped, and i miss doing that, so can i drink stuff like that while taking the medicine? If i do, what will happen?

Favorite Answer

No, you can't.

Summary of Adverse Reaction Reports for Lexapro (Escitalopram)

2,029 Cases

Note - these are not all adverse reactions - only those most serious.

Depression Suicidal/Suicidal Ideations: 136

Attempted Suicides (not completed): 82

Completed Suicides: 189

Deaths (not from Suicide): 33

Homicidal Ideations: 10

Homicides/Murders: 9

Hypomania/Mania: 32

Psychiatric Drug Side Effects Search Engine

http://www.cchrint.org/psychdrugdangers/

TOP 20 adverse reactions

Completed Suicide, Convulsion, Suicidal Ideation, Condition Aggravated, Depression, Nausea, Loss of Consciousness, Drug Exposure During Pregnancy, Dizziness, Anxiety, Hyponatraemia, Tremor, Insomnia, Confusional State, Suicide Attempt, Drug Interaction, Agitation, Feeling Abnormal, Fatigue, Headache

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would recommend you to watch following DVD that is available online if you have fast internet. It's told by psychiatrists, psychologists and people who worked for pharmaceutical companies. It informs you - beside other things - about side effects that are not often being told by psychiatrists. It also suggests an alternative in the end. When you then make a decision to take antidepressants, you may be better prepared, educated and understand what's going on when you encounter some bad side effects. I would say that these information are actually vital.

The link sounds a little scary - that’s because many antidepressants have suicidal thoughts and impulses as side effects which you can also read inside the pack of some antidepressants.

Watch trailer 1:55 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV0J5EsYKuw

Youtube thumbnail

The whole DVD

http://www.cchr.org/#/videos/making-a-killing-intr...

Fox News about pharmaceutical company Eli Lilly (Prozac, Zyprexa and others)

3:36 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_iXApBeT5s

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=channel_page

Let's see. I have my bottle of Lexapro right here. It says--right there on the label--"do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medication."

So I think that's the answer. As to what will happen, well, I tried this once, years ago, although with Paxil rather than Lexapro. Long story short, I nearly lost my mind. It is not a good idea to drink when you are taking any SSRI!

Ask your doc, this is a totally legitamite question. It depends a lot on if you have had any alcohol abuse problems and how your depression is. In my case, I have been told it is OK to have a glass of wine or a beer once in a while, but my docs have all known I am a tea-totaller and my depression symptoms might be different than yours. I haven't been on lexapro specifically, but cymbalta is similar, and I was told it was ok to have a glass of wine occasionally. Do talk to your doc about this, alcohol is a mood altering chemical, it is something that should be openly discussed, as should taking aspirin or ibuprofen or cold medicine with lexapro, and sexual side effects if you get them, weight gain, all that stuff. You have to be really honest to get the help you need.

Source(s): I've had bipolar many years
  • Boo

Im not a Dr. but I do advise drinking while taking and prescription drug .Especially a mood altering drug as Lexapro

alchohol is dangerous all by itself let alone mixing it with a medication. ive seen a few vegetables in the nursing home as a result of alcohol mixed with medications. call your pharmacist and ask. they will usually give you good advice on a medication and stuff like that. thats theyre area.

Um, you should talk to your doctor or pharmacist.

Let them know how much and how often you drink and find out what the risks are. They won't think any worse of you! Then you can make the choice for yourself.