Where does it say that you must be 21 to own a silencer/suppressor?

I can't seem to find this information anywhere, especially on atf.gov.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • ranb40
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Take a look at; TITLE 27 CHAPTER II PART 478_COMMERCE IN FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION Subpart F_Conduct of Business Sec. 478.99 Certain prohibited sales or deliveries. (b) Sales or deliveries to underaged persons. http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2008/aprqtr/27cf...

This law says that a person less than 21 years old can not buy from a licensed dealer unless it is a rifle or shotgun, then the limit is 18 years. When buying a title 2 weapon such as a silencer or machine gun, transfer from a dealer is only required if the weapon has to cross state lines. If you make a silencer on an ATF form 1, or buy from a person (non-dealer) in your state, then you do not have to go through a dealer.

This means you only need to be 18 to own a silencer, as long as you make it yourself (using the ATF form 1) or buy it from a person in your state. Here is another FAQ; http://www.fega.com/members/batf.html

I found nothing about age limits at the Subguns law page at http://www.subguns.com/laws/laws.htm , but there is a discussion at http://www.silencertalk.com/ on adults less than 21 years of age being allowed to make silencer on the ATF form 1. From what I have read, the ATF will approve an ATF form 1 for any American adult 18 and up, for making silencers, short barreled shotguns/rifles, AOW’s and DD’s. Users of the forum at Silencertalk need to register.

In the end it is up to the ATF whether or not to approve the transfer or making of the silencer. If you are 18 and submitting the ATF form 4 to buy a registered silencer from an unlicensed owner, they should approve it. They should also approve an ATF form 1 to make a silencer if you are 18 and up. The ATF is required to approve all applications filled out correctly; meaning you are of age, citizen, a non-felon, pay the tax, get sheriff's signature etc. If the ATF does not do this, then write to your Congressman and ask them to find out why.

Ranb

Source(s): I design and make silencers on ATF form 1's. But I am over the age of 21 :) .
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I think you should take note of what 'slavery' is in this case. If someone sells himself (IE: a Hebrew servant) to a contract of servitude for (whatever reason) he would serve for six years and in the seventh his contract will be up. If the Hebrew servant entered the contract by himself then he will be free by himself. If he had a wife upon entering the contract then he and his wife would be free. If the master 'gave' him a wife and she had children the other servant (female) and her children would still belong to the master. The man can go free. You missed a part of this though, as if the man wants to stay with the family that he made he can serve the master continually. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ What does this mean today? Not much. In the culture of the time women were already second class to men. Men ran the world in that culture. And even today part of this remains with the troubles of glass topics in business. More specific, when is owning another person EVER justifiable. If you pay another man's debt OR that man wants something from you (like a daughter for a wife) then he can work for you for a time to receive it. If you are the one with the power to grant that thing then it would make sense that (in that culture) you would be their master. You are the one that they serve. In today's world they might just end up 'owing' you something else. Quid Pro Quo so to speak. In today's common age slavery exists in a much different form. The early America's version of slavery was just wrong. There were no rights given. Indentured servitude and early America slavery were not one in the same thing. Even beyond these two examples of servitude there are more techniques and styles of contract applied to human lives. Should a man be forced into servitude for absolutely no reason. Definitely not. Good to note that these verses have NOTHING to do with forced servitude. As for ownership of a person, we can see the effect in the middle ages continuing into today. Those who serve a master belong to him (that master). In the case of servants or slaves there ARE rights granted them. Not all masters are following all that they ought and so we have laws to punish as well. If a nation was subjugated by another they may very have been annihilated. Does this make slavery a sort of kindness? Perhaps, its still one lesser pain over another. Its hard to integrate this concept into today's society but the attitude of the abusive master is still present, even in the other answers. Here is the best part - The question of servitude and slavery reflects a certain subset of characteristics within scripture and who it was given to. Much of the Old Testament is recorded history. This gives us a look into who the Creator is and what the Creator allows and how He expects us to treat one another. For the Christian this is a good history lesson but carries little application into the modern day. What we can take from it is that God wants us to treat each other well. I think the better question that could have been asked is "When God allows slavery or servitude, what are the rules that are to be followed?" Study that one.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Class III implements. 21 years of age or older.

Plain and simple. Any younger, and you are just wasting your time.

The ATF is not that clear in general, but their actions in the past have made some points of theirs *crystal* clear.

Concession to RanB. I did not know that... my bad.

Still pretty sure to buy one from a dealer you gotta be 21...

Source(s): Avid shooter.
  • mack_9
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

I looked all over too and never could specifically find it. My 17 year old son wants a SBR. My impression is that you have to be 21 to own a gun but there are exceptions made for non NFA firearms.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

It hardly matter where it says it, as long as its a law, you must abide.

Source(s): Ruger4life
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.