Proof of citizenship? Yes or no? Why?

Do you think proof of citizenship ought to be required for the following things....?

1. To register to vote

2. If we have a health-care plan (I hope not) before a person can be covered.

3. In order to run for office of any kind, even selectman all the way up to President.

Do you think this would resolve a great deal of debate issues in this country if we just say "show me the birth certificate"!

While I did use the term birth certificate, any PROOF of citizenship is what I am looking for. Or PROOF you are in this country legally before you get the perks. Why do the Democrats refuse to write into the healthcare bill that a person must give proof of citizenship in order to qualify?

Favorite Answer

Yes, yes and more yeses!!! I've got mine!!! When I registered to vote, nobody asked me for my certificate! Employers are supposed to ask if you are legally in this country! But, they don't! They would rather hire illegals and pay them less, than employ an American citizen! It burns me up when I go into a store and be served by a person who can barely speak English! And here's my daughter and millions of other citizen's desparately looking for work. ANY kind of work! Check out the back rooms at these Wal-Mart stores - the place is crawling with these illegals.

Schools and Universities should be required to ask for citizenship. Foreign students should be monitored, they should be forced to declar their whereabouts at all times.. There too many students coming over here, with the intent to go to school, and then, fade off into the sunset.

If the Government wants to create jobs, Immigration would be a good place to start! The Department of Motor Vehicles is another. LandLords, Forget State Governments, mine is still dickering over a budget and laying people off right and left!

How in the world does this Government really know the cost of this health plan they are trying to jam down our throats? They haven't even discussed taking a census yet! It would take years just to sort out WHO is entitled to receive medical care, and who is not! But, if I am not mistaken, the word of the BIG KAHUNA WAS - EVERYONE!!! No distinction between legal or illegal. I really think he meant that! That would be the easy way out for him, no matter what the cost to the American taxpayer.

unfortunately i believe we have reached this point in the country now. to ask this question years ago i would have been against it, but now i'm afraid all these issues you mentioned are far too important to continue to look the other way. we have reached a point of of no return with the election process to where it seems now every vote matters and counts due to the partisanship of the country and to not ensure voters are citizens reduces the quality of the election. if for some reason the powers decide to take us down the UHC road, it would be folly to not ensure citizenship status with the enormous cost the country is looking at. your last issue should be standard op procedure anyway, in order to get jobs (at least here in florida) we have to have all proof we're in this country legally, and i see no reason why our elected officials "who work for us" not follow the same rules they impose on individuals and business. while the issues are most certainly state issues, this may be one time that the fed would have to step in and mandate the states in order to be able to participate in fed elections and the UHC.

just to address #3...

I am more than happy if someone running for office, provides proof of citizenship to the federal (or state) election commission.

Read that statement VERY CAREFULLY. Proof is reasonable to give to a valid legal authority.

IT STILL DOES NOT TRANSLATE that Obama is legally obligated to prove ANYTHING TO THE PUBLIC.

The only reason for so called debates about the birth certificate...is the absolute inability of people to understand the job of the govt/ FBI.. and thinking that THEY have authority to demand private records.

The govt is completely and fully aware of Obama's legal status, and always has been. The "debate" is a fabrication.

• Golfer

Should--YES

The Congress voted them the best health care plan in the world--we the tax pay pays for this insurance plan--I think it covers them and their families for life, including I believe the Prs, VP and cabinet members.

His mother is/was an American so the birth certificate is irrelevant.

---

The left want the Latino vote at any cost and is willing to allow our laws to be broken to get those votes.---The left has no basic morality---example it is OK to commit adultery and have a baby ripped from the mothers womb but don't you be driving any SUV's.

As to denying health care to anyone It won't happen in America--unless you are a citizen.

The corruption in this country--medcaid, ACORN, Wall street, law makers, businesses that uses illegal workers, drug dealers, politicians and all of us who stay quiet and vote in the same corrupt people.

---

A Dem asked people who came to his town hall to show Dr lic--so they are hypocrites

To register to vote, yes, of course, but the health care plan should be for any legal resident in the USA: since you pay taxes, you should have the right to enjoy the services provided to the community, like education, security... do the firemen ask you if you are a US citizen before to save you? After all, they are pay by the tax monney...

there is a difference between being legaly in the USA and being a citizen. You may have a green card, working and paying taxes in the USA but is not a reason to want to be American citizen.

• What has a birth certificate got to do with citizenship. Not all citizen were born here. I think a social security care is enough and a finger print.

I think you are a loon. I am not at all crazy of basically having to have a bar code to live life. It is ironic the GOP talks about liberty, yet is willing to give up so much.

What good would that be if the people who don't like you can just deny the proof anyway?

• Yes. Whats the problem in doing that.

Uhhh... your birth certificate does not state your citizenship status.

Edit: Maybe you're in favor or implanted micro chips. Do you really want it to go that far?