Tink
Tink asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

What are some benefits of getting the "regular" AND "swine flu" vaccines?

Wouldn't the former provide some protection against the latter?

I'm not crazy about the idea of injecting myself with pig and bird DNA.

Perhaps I'm being silly about this (I'll admit it)

One of the thing that I'm worried about, is that we don't have any longitudinal studies on these (indeed, the JAMA study was conducted over a week?!?) so we have no idea about long term safety (Swine flu 1976 anyone?) and I'm not crazy about the idea of adjuvants in vaccines.

Now don't get me wrong - I am a fan of vaccines. There are millions of people on the planet because of them. They have reduced pain and suffering and improved quality of life - so I'm for them, and plan on possibly getting one for the "regular flu" - but I figured someone had to have some ideas about the swine flu vaccine...

Let me know whatcha think - I plan on dwellin' on it some.

Be well all

Tink

And for those of ya who are wondering why I would post this in Alt Med, its simple. I like getting view points from a wide variety of sources. This is also posted in Infectious disease as well.

Good Night All - Be well

Favorite Answer

your not injecting yourself with pig an bird DNA, a vaccine is an extremely weak version of virus, which causes your bodies immune system to respond to it, in a way this give you immune system the information to fight off a possible flu infection after the vaccine, its extremely effective.

now there are tons of different strains of the flu, they change and evolve rapidly, so each year a different strain needs to be vaccinated for, the type of vaccine made for last years flu season is extremely unlikely to work. the dominant flu and swine flu are two different strains, so taking one will NOT guarantee you immunity from the other.

so far as wanting studies on side effects of the vaccines those take a long time to do accurately, for a specific case like swine flu, which spreads rapidly we simply don't have the time to sit around and research test subjects. also remember that the event you referenced is like 50 years, medicine has advanced a lot from then.

check out my site, it will answer your question

Source(s): http://www.healthy-initiatives.com Herbalist, Nutritional Counselor