Michael R asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

How to keep my dog from eating my trash.?

My 13 year old female bl. lab mix has recently (a month or so ago) taken a liking to my trash can. She is eating my tissues that I've used, and I'd like it to stop, since the contents of the trash get all over the floor once she's finished. For now I am not using that wastebasket that is in my room, but I would like to be able to use it again soon. Any suggestions? It puts me in a rage when I see what my dog Jewel has done. I really would like it to stop.

Favorite Answer

hitting your dog isnt the solution. it will only make her afraid of you.

most pet stores sell motion activated spray cans. you can tape one to the trash can and when the dog approaches she will get a blast of air in her face. this deters the dog from even approaching the trash can because they dont like the sensation of the air. once the dog gets the hint you can remove the air can.

Source(s): victoria stilwell "its me or the dog" on animal planet.

Shut the door so she can't get into that room, or put the wastebasket where she can't reach it.

A sudden change in behavior like that, in a dog that old, can be a sign of dementia. Call your vet.

• Erika

we don't choose a lid for our trash. i'm able to lay a uncooked steak on the suitable of my rubbish and visit mattress; the steak will nonetheless be there interior the morning even although the dogs & 2 cats have unfastened get right of entry to to it. at an analogous time as dogs have been ingesting our rubbish for over 20,000 years it rather is comparatively undemanding to coach them to maintain out of it.

I had the same problem. Try a little negative reinforcement. By that I mean, every time you see her walking toward the can and looking at it like she is going for it, then give her a swift slap on the but -- and then run away so she can't see you. If you do this 25 times, she will begin to associate going near the can with having her but hurt a little. She will walk up near the can and bark or growl at it, but won't go near it. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!

• ?

Put a cover on it.

Put the bin where she cannot get it!!! desk, table, cupboard ect...

put a electric fince up theyll only do it once

pop them on the nose as soon as they do it

it lets them know that the action is bad