Who is at fault if you cause a car crash in Australia because a spider falls into your lap and you freak?

I just saw a Youtube video on Australian Huntsman spiders falling into motorists' laps from the sunvisor. Apparently, this has happened more than once.

If you freak and crash because of such a situation, does the insurance still apply some measure of leniency, or is it simply your fault because you "chose to freak"?

• Mel
    Best Answer

You would be at fault, but depending on your car insurance you may or may not lose your no claim bonus, some have a 'no fault' system. Same goes for hail and storm damage.

That depends on how old the spider is.

If it's under 18, it will be the spider's parents fault, resp. of the spiders' society.

If the spider is older than 18, it may be its own fault, especially if it was under druggs as a trafic part-taker.

In case the spider was TOO old, meaning its falling into your lap was caused by its sudden death due to heart attack or something, then there is no chance for you to accuse anyone else, except for the other driver. Just see to it that he is found guilty of having been drunk at the moment when the accident happened. I do hope you've got the money for that.

• TonyB

Your fault (although you could try to sue the spider for damages).

It happened to me once and really gave me a scare. Luckily I was driving slowly and could stop (in the middle of a street). I just jumped out of the car and the spider fell on the floor.

I looked for that spider for months and could never find it again. I suspect it's still somewhere in my car.

These days I check the visor before I sit down.

• Irma

Witnesses or pictures would solve this issue. Send your insurance company a diagram of the intersection and where the cars were in relationship to each other. The damage will be consistent with your description and not his. For example if he hit you, his damage will go from front left towards the rear. Your damage will go from the right rear towards the front.

The spider

Who would be at fault? The Spider!

• Brooky

It actually happened to my brother-in-law last year and caused him to spend a week in hospital and wrote off his car. He was held to be responsible as is always the case.

• Mike

Why would you care. The spider bite is going to kill you if the car accident doesn't .

The insurance never will do that.

Thats your own fault, and they'll pay nothing at all.

Franky

You would be the "at fault" driver.

Have you been watching that old insurance ad?

I think it was for AAMI.